Family Man Busted For Growing

Wilbur

A father was arrested for growing cannabis after his son took leaves from the plants to school.

Iain Beardsworth had been growing the drug for his own use and had no idea that his 13-year-old son had somehow gained access to the locked garage, a court was told.

But the boy took some leaves from the plants to Ribblesdale High School, Clitheroe, and gave some to his cousin.

Beardsworth, 41, of Warwick Drive, Clitheroe, pleaded guilty to cultivating 53 cannabis plants and was fined £500 and ordered to pay £60 costs.

Neil White, prosecuting, said police found out what Beardsworth was doing because of his son's actions.

"That was how the police became aware of the cultivation," said Mr White. "They attended the defendant's home and asked him to unlock the detached garage where they found a sophisticated cultivation system."

Mr White said there were five substantial plants and 48 seedlings.

"There is no suggestion of him being involved in supply and it seems the son acquired the leaves without his father's knowledge."

Daniel King, defending, said his client was a hard working, family man with only one previous conviction for a minor matter when he was 15 years old.

"He is not keen on alcohol - he can't see the attraction of a drug that causes people to act violently and strangely and cause a lot of anti-social behaviour," said Mr King.

"He has smoked cannabis resin privately and recently saw a television documentary which suggested that resin is not as harmless as had previously been thought.

"One of the reasons is that resin is adulterated with other substances in the production process."

He said Beardsworth decided to have a "bash" at producing his own, as it would be pure.

"He had not yet harvested his first crop," said Mr King.

"The garage was secure but somehow his son got in there and took a couple of leaves.

"The fact that his son got hold of these leaves brought it home that this is not acceptable."

Ribblesdale High School headteacher Simon Smith said: "The pupil has never been in trouble. He never even had a detention before this incident. He brought the cannabis in to show his friends as they had been learning about it.

"We had to inform the police as is procedure. Drugs in school are taken very seriously and are not tolerated under any circumstances. We deal with all cases individually and pupils can be suspended in some cases. But in this case counselling was more appropriate."

Newshawk: User - 420 Magazine
Source: thisislancashire
Pubdate: 15 December 2006
Author: Andrew Bellard
Copyright: 2006 Newsquest Media Group
Website: This Is Lancashire - news, sport and entertainment from Lancashire, Greater Manchester & Merseyside

I feel bad for him. Not yet harvested his first crop? Damn.

Poor guy, probably spent a fortune on the supplies and whatnot.

Poor kid, too.

:peace: Earth Child

I hope he gets what he deserves...... if you CAN'T keep your shit (booze, weed, prescription drugs) away from your children you are definately going to have problems, with your kid, your spouse and the law.

My 'guess' is that he ignored his son too much and tended to his gardens needs more than his families. His sons curiosity got him into an unsecured garage and into trouble.

I had a similar experiance. One time my wife left cause she was paranoid about my green house. I got scared after she left & pulled em all up and threw them in a small ravine that was not easy to see. You had to know where it was. One state cop looked all over, walking round & round my place. He could not find them. Then my 7 year old daughter told one of the county cops.

I ended up w/6mo hotel time (work release) because I had some friends praying itn the court room. The judge was gonn give me 2.3 years in a state pen. But something hit him. I can still see him, like quivering, or shaking. Then he gave me the lighter sentance. Even though I got a big break, the whole thing was a real drag.

No matter how you secure yer stuff, if the kids want at it most of the time they get there.

mM

Back
Top Bottom