Fan is so Loud!

rugdoc

Picked up a VTX 600 today of CL and set it up and great air flow, but it is so loud. The sound is coming from the mouth of the unit not the back. I am afraid my neighbors will hear it and get suspicious. But this sucker pulls some major air! I was thinking of picking up either a muffler and put it on the front, or getting a variable speed switch, both with a thermostatic switch. Any ideas on how I can keep this a little more low profile?

Re: Fan is so Loud!!

I had to put my 6 inch in an insulated container. The intake at the hose end is where all my noise is coming from, sounds like an industrial vac..

Yea it sounds like a industrial vac! So I should get a cooler and cut two holes in it for my fan? what about the mouth? All the noise comes out the end of that, should I put some ducting on the mouth after the box?

I was actually thinking of putting on 8" hose on the intake section and reducing it to six inches at the vortex unit. I am hoping this will help it get more air at the intake and cut down the sucking noise......The exhaust is quiet, can barely hear it......

Try picking up a rheostat at your local hardware store and wire it up. You can get them for $5 to $10. I've got 2 wired up for fan control.

I had the same problem with my vortex 6" inline fan. I didn't need it to push all that air, so I got a fan speed controller online. You can probably just get a rheostat at the hardware store a little cheaper, but make sure it's rated for the amps that your fan pulls.

Back
Top Bottom