fan leaves

The only reason to trim fan leaves is to allow light to get to the lower bud sites, so there's no reason to trim untill you start to flower, and then only sparingly, cause as Torco says, your plants need those leaves to make food for the buds.

An alturnaive to cutting fan leaves is tucking them back under, I've used this method the last 2 grows and it works wonderfully!

When a fan is cut the adjacent bud slows growth and makes makes gaps in an otherwise solid growth:=)

Torco55 said:
I would not recommend trimming any green fan leaves; your plants need them to grow.

Ditto that! If it ain't dying, don't remove it. Later when you go to flower you can trim off the "junk" on the lower parts so the plant focusses on the tops. But I'd leave the "solar panel" leaves on.

thanks for all the input guys and i am in flowering day 7, ive been bending them down under the inner growth, im gonna get something to hold them there. i was just thinking that would be easier but ok im gonna go with no cuts.

Very good thinking, use low stress training to expose your bud sites to more light. If you're using compact fluorecents, you can also stick them in amounst your grow.

infact your plant depends on those leaves specifically, for they are the main source of glucose for the plant, call it the powerhorses. when cloning, i cut the fan leaves tips off.

the only problem i found with sticking them in with your plants, is the temps are differant in differant areas.

i cut the tips off because if you have ever taken clones, then you know these big fan leaves are the first to suffer, now if you illiminate half the workload then it takes less to make more, plus the demands on the young vulnerable clones are pretty high.

Hey, thanks or the quick reply man. I think I understand what you're saying. I've never cloned before, but plan to next spring, so I'm slowly educating myself on it now. thanks again. How much to you cut off. 1/4, 1/3?

amen race, vint, not alot i mean i only take off, take a bic and i only cut off the length of the silver metal part, and i only take about that much off.

Racefan said:
Another reason to cut the tips off clones is to reduce fluid loss in the clones.

yep.
I've seen some dip the clones in some kind of wax to prevent moisture loss. I'll have to look into this one a bit more. Kinda scares me but....

Back
Top Bottom