Feds Urged To Ease Up On Medical Pot

Jacob Bell

In light of a recent federal crackdown on medical marijuana, seven San Francisco supervisors urged the feds to reverse course.

"I believe it's important for us ... to be very clear that we support the right of patients to have access to medicine," said Supervisor David Campos, chief sponsor of the nonbinding resolution.

His co-sponsors are Supervisors Eric Mar, John Avalos, David Chiu, Ross Mirkarimi, Jane Kim and Scott Wiener.

It's not the first time the supervisors have weighed in. In 2001, the Board of Supervisors declared San Francisco "a sanctuary" for medical marijuana. Four years later, the city adopted regulations for dispensaries.

The latest legislative effort comes after the U.S. Department of Justice said this month that it would target what the U.S. attorneys in the state described as a for-profit marijuana industry that cares more about making money than about compassion for the sick.

"People are using the cover of medical marijuana to make extraordinary amounts of money," said San Francisco's U.S. attorney, Melinda Haag, at a recent news conference.

Federal prosecutors have sent letters to dozens of marijuana retailers informing them that they were violating federal law and subject to property forfeiture and possible prosecution. Medical marijuana backers cried foul, saying that the tactic is an about-face for the Obama administration.

The use of marijuana for medical purposes in California was approved by state voters 15 years ago.

maryj.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: sfgate.com
Author: Rachel Gordon
Copyright: Hearst Communications Inc.

Isn't it a good thing if US citizens are making "extraordinary amounts of money,"?

Or are we just trying to keep the poor poor and make sure the rich stay rich?

It's all complete bullshit. Pharmaceutical companies make billions, why can't us lower-middle class stoners make some money too? It all goes back into the economy anyway!

Every time someone buys something, someone else gets money so that they can now buy something. It's ONLY a good thing and there's nothing bad about buying shit because it helps other people make money which,in turn, makes other people money.

Scenario:
I go out and BUY grow equipment(hydro store makes money that they can now spend)
I PAY for the electricity that it uses(electric company gets more money so they can spend)
Then I harvest and SELL my finished product to LEGAL DISPENSARIES that BUY it from me so that they can SELL it for a PROFIT.
That PROFIT can go towards many things, but regardless, that PROFIT will get spent all across the State and MANY MANY people will benefit from that money that gets spent.

The waitress will get a better tip. The movie theater will get more people coming in. The car salesmen will get that nice commission. The home improvement companies will get more projects to do. The music store will finally get some people coming in to BUY shit! The bands that aren't making anything anymore will finally make some money off of iTunes since people will have the extra money to buy songs.

oh and for the argument "everyone will just start growing their own weed and it will never get taxed!!". that argument is complete bullshit because it is not easy to grow weed. especially good weed. it costs a lot of money to get a good setup, it takes a lot of time to maintain and if you get spidermites in your room you'll probably never want to grow again.

Back
Top Bottom