Fired For Using Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
MI - New surveys are finding more and more people in favor of legalizing marijuana, with even some police officers saying it's just a matter of time.

In 1969 a Gallup poll found only twelve percent of people thought pot should be legal. A similar poll conducted in 2009 found that number jump to 44 percent.

In November of 2008, 67 percent of Michigan voters said marijuana should be legal for medical purposes and Michigan became the 14th state in the country to approve medical marijuana.

However, there's still been plenty of confusion about when, and where those approved to smoke marijuana can actually do so.

In Battle Creek, a cancer patient recently lost his job for using marijuana that he had been cleared to use.

Joe Casias has been battling sinus cancer for ten years, but the chronic pain had gotten so bad that Casias decided to try medical marijuana, it was a decision that cost Casias his job.

“I worked there for five years and did everything I could possibly do for them,” said Casias.

Wal-Mart was Casias' life. During his five years at the Battle Creek store, he racked up award after award, including Associate of the Year.

“I never went to work under the influence of pot,” said Casias. “I was always focused 100 percent on the job at hand.”

However, in the blink of an eye, that job was gone.

“I was called into the office and was terminated because I failed my drug screen for medical marijuana,” said Casias.

The State of Michigan says Casias is allowed to use medical marijuana, and issued him a card, but Wal-Mart won't budge.

“I feel strongly that I was wrongfully terminated,” said Casias.

Newschannel 3 asked Wal-Mart for a comment, they wouldn't go on camera, but did send a response.

“In a state such as Michigan, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires a termination of an employee following a positive screen.”

John Targowski is a Kalamazoo attorney who has put the state's medical marijuana laws to the test, however he doesn't see much hope in Casias' case.

“If a workplace has a ban on all drugs under federal law, they may not be protected,” said Targowski. “I want to be optimistic, but several state courts have not granted medical marijuana users the right to have a job.”

Casias says he plans to continue fighting.

“If a person has a condition, why should they lose their whole lifestyle because of medical marijuana?” said Casias.

Newschannel 3 asked Casias, if he could choose between medical marijuana or Wal-Mart, which would he pick. Casias said Wal-Mart.

Casias is still looking for an attorney who will take his case.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3 : Grand Rapids, Battle Creek and Kalamazoo News
Copyright: 2010 Freedom Communications
Website: Fired for using medical marijuana | margin, bottom, mich - Top Stories - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom