First grow questions

ItsRubbers

Bought 48"x48"x78" tent
Bought FF Nutrients all 3
Bought FF Soil
Just looking whats a good grow light to purchase for my size tent.
And what else am I missing

The amount of small things needed can be overwhelming. You are missing pH up and down, a pH tester, carbon filter, intake fan, oscillating fan, ratchet hangers for lights, and I am sure I am missing tons of stuff, but those should be the big ones.

Lights? There is HID, CMH, and LED among others. You will have to make a decision on that, but I would shoot for around 80 draw watts per square foot. Good luck.

Hi ItsRubbers,

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of folks that gathers here. :welcome:

I think each grower finds their own style of growing and gathers the all the tools needed to do so. I think you would find it useful to review any of the many resources located on the site and please don't forget to visit the grow room section as there are some basic "getting started" tutorial sticky notes there that you may find useful. I found the growers journals to be very helpful as well. Pick 3 or 4 that are pretty early in their grow and follow along.

At some point, all our journeys in growing seem to transform from "I hope I can grow a little something" to "How can I get more out of my grow". In chasing increasing yield, different little tweaks are added to our routines.

At it's most basic though, we are trying to take a plant that grows wild in many different environments and get it grow indoors. I mean, it's a weed after all and a new grower would be wise to not overcomplicate things by forgetting this fact. It needs soil, water, and light. Your soil is already enriched with nutrients and word of caution Fox Farm can has occasionally been reported "a little too hot for young seedlings". Your soil is already PH balanced as well. It seems lighting is about all your missing for now.

420 Magazine has a number sponsors that offer a variety of lighting options. When I began, I chose High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights as the upfront investment was considerably lower. While there is still a difference in pricing between the various types, the difference is not nearly as great now, as it was then. I really wish I'd chosen LED lighting as HID lights create A LOT of heat, that must be dealt with. For me, this necessitated the addition of an in line fan and ducting adding another $100.00 or so to the investment in HID lights and beginning to approach what is now the cost of the more affordable LED's.

Whatever choices you make regarding grow style, lighting, etc... be well and happy growing!

The amount of small things needed can be overwhelming. You are missing pH up and down, a pH tester, carbon filter, intake fan, oscillating fan, ratchet hangers for lights, and I am sure I am missing tons of stuff, but those should be the big ones.

Lights? There is HID, CMH, and LED among others. You will have to make a decision on that, but I would shoot for around 80 draw watts per square foot. Good luck.
I was looking to get this 600 watt or a 400watt with the tent that I said above
48"x48"x78" tent

I was looking to get this 600 watt or a 400watt with the tent that I said above
48"x48"x78" tent

Nice! Yea they say the 600 is the most efficient inregards to watts and lumens, but with either light your gonna want an exhaust fan ( those puppies get hot and heat up a room fast) Led s are nice and run cool as well, seems a lot of people are switching specifically for the lack of heat generated. I just heard of a new HPS/MH with an added blue spectrum to it and it seems to be the ticket!!

Nice! Yea they say the 600 is the most efficient inregards to watts and lumens, but with either light your gonna want an exhaust fan ( those puppies get hot and heat up a room fast) Led s are nice and run cool as well, seems a lot of people are switching specifically for the lack of heat generated. I just heard of a new HPS/MH with an added blue spectrum to it and it seems to be the ticket!!
Got a link?

So what do you prefer LED or HPS/MH

A great guy on here, Millertm, wrote this...

I'm now running 1050 watts because that's all she's got to give. I've noticed the Eye seems to keep the fans off more then my last "super HPS", not sure if it because of the CR being higher then other HPS bulbs. Most have a CR of 20, Eye is 30. My last grow was cooltube and pre flowers took almost 3x time to start (19-21 days) showing. Moreover, plants are drinking far more then with cooltube.

Cheers
Thank Like urmom liked this post

1000W HPS first grow. Using FFOF soil ,.Cinex/Girl Scout Cookie in 4'X4'X6.8' Tent

1000W HPS, 2 Sour Diesil, Super lemon Haze, Cinex in FFOF,

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Blog this Post

So it's called the Eye I guess, I haven't looked it up because I m all dialed in right now with a 1k watt with numerous fans, carbon filter and fresh air and exhaust fans. Now with that being said I m quite intrigued by the LED s , but ya gotta buy a good one and they are pricy! Starting around 600 to 3000 plus!

Hey Itsrubbers! I would tell you to take some time to consider a couple of things about you and your personal goals and set up. First are you just trying to grow for yourself? I assume so..if I am correct then you need to consider the costs involved. I would want my first grow setup to pay for itself within 2 grows...versus buying comparable quality weed for myself. Where in the house is the tent going to be. If it is in a garage then you will have more heat issues. This means I would go with LED. If it is in a basement then perhaps HPS would fit the bill. Do you have close neighbors? If so then venting may become an issue. The same goes for light leakage. Do you have a lot of visitors to your place? If so then stealth may be the biggest concern. You think that you know folks until they see you sitting on a beautiful crop of nice bud....trust me when I say this...it can change people. Do you own or do you rent? Landlords can be an issue. This again increases the need for stealth.

Growing your own is one of the greatest most personally rewarding hobbies in the world. I am in no way trying to make you paranoid. My point is to encourage you to think through your plan as completely as possible before you pop your first seed. I also would tell you to consider the total cost of both the initial setup and the cost of operation. Most electric companies break down your cost per KWH. Electricity is not cheap. I often find that it's a good plan for first time growers to figure out what impact a growing decision is going to have upon their monthly budget. You have definitely started at the right place. The folks on here can save you a lot of running around and wasted money..it is a great community. Best of luck in all you grow!

Hey Itsrubbers! I would tell you to take some time to consider a couple of things about you and your personal goals and set up. First are you just trying to grow for yourself? I assume so..if I am correct then you need to consider the costs involved. I would want my first grow setup to pay for itself within 2 grows...versus buying comparable quality weed for myself. Where in the house is the tent going to be. If it is in a garage then you will have more heat issues. This means I would go with LED. If it is in a basement then perhaps HPS would fit the bill. Do you have close neighbors? If so then venting may become an issue. The same goes for light leakage. Do you have a lot of visitors to your place? If so then stealth may be the biggest concern. You think that you know folks until they see you sitting on a beautiful crop of nice bud....trust me when I say this...it can change people. Do you own or do you rent? Landlords can be an issue. This again increases the need for stealth.

Growing your own is one of the greatest most personally rewarding hobbies in the world. I am in no way trying to make you paranoid. My point is to encourage you to think through your plan as completely as possible before you pop your first seed. I also would tell you to consider the total cost of both the initial setup and the cost of operation. Most electric companies break down your cost per KWH. Electricity is not cheap. I often find that it's a good plan for first time growers to figure out what impact a growing decision is going to have upon their monthly budget. You have definitely started at the right place. The folks on here can save you a lot of running around and wasted money..it is a great community. Best of luck in all you grow!
Well as I said so far I went ahead and bought already
Bought 48"x48"x78" tent
Bought FF Nutrients all 3
Bought FF Soil

It will be set up in the back of the house in a empty room nobody sleeps or goes in there. It has windows that are covered by blinds and then blankets over the blinds. So far this is what I was looking to start with (Autoseeds)
92930083842009e792059f001e237a7e.jpg
I was gonna plant like 4 to get started or more. So LED is better from what I am understanding correct?

So a 600 or 700 would be fit for the tent I have.
s-l5001.jpg

s-l1100.jpg

The Mars Hydro unit you have linked is only 330 and 275 draw watts, so I would go with at least two of them.

I would suggest growing photoperiod plants first, they tend to be quite a bit more forgiving if you are new to growing.

Back
Top Bottom