First grow, yellow veins during early flower

MarinAlliance

Hi All,

Scrog, soil pots, Green Crack, sativa dominant, 50 day flower time. Now at Day 21 flower.

This all may be fine, but I'm a nervous first-timer. It probably started last week, but really didn't notice till now. A few of the leaves are starting to turn yellow. And not the usual yellow leaves/green veins, nitrogen deficiency type that I read about. These are the other way around, yellow veins/green intraveinal areas slowly turn yellow. The ones affected seem to be larger, lower leaves. New leaves around the buds look fine so far. I'm not having a lot of luck searching the net on the yellow vein peculiarity.

They were fed Liquinox all thru veg and did great (though I'll go with organic fert next time). Switched to Dr Earth Bud&Bloom 4-10-7 on alternate watering and molasses on all watering after going 12/12, and always monitor PH.

So, did I panic when I flushed them last night out of fear there was some lockout from salts? Should I just go back to dr earth/etc next watering? *If* it's a nitrogen issue, what to do or too late? Or is this normal?

Thnx! phil

Glad some one knows how to take care of there ph :) what strength are you mixing your food to? And what size pots and hight of your plants?

I came across these charts hope they can help

pH_chart7.jpeg
cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpeg

Glad some one knows how to take care of there ph :) what strength are you mixing your food to? And what size pots and hight of your plants?

It was Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom (dry, 4-10-7), every other watering. It advises 4 Tbsp worked into surface of 3 gal pot but I used a little less, 3 Tbsp. Molasses every watering, 1 Tbsp/gal. Height? Well it's a scrog, so estimate is at least 2 ft tall if they had been allowed to be free. As they are, about a foot tall to the net and another 8 inches for tops above net.

Everything your doing seems to be ok, I would go back to feeding if you flushed. Maybe look up some info on that food and how others are using it.(I will as well) Back of the bottle is kind of a ball park IME and I like to know how others are really using it for cannabis. . That's the only thing I could see being the variable in this right now. Just a thought . I be checking in. ale some pics tomorrow and let us know if it's getting worse. Really hope it helps.

Everything your doing seems to be ok, I would go back to feeding if you flushed. Maybe look up some info on that food and how others are using it.(I will as well) Back of the bottle is kind of a ball park IME and I like to know how others are really using it for cannabis. . That's the only thing I could see being the variable in this right now. Just a thought . I be checking in. ale some pics tomorrow and let us know if it's getting worse. Really hope it helps.

thnx, Up, good idea about checking how others are using that brand, i'll see if i can find anyone talking about it. I do know it has a good rep. Ever hear of Revive by Advanced Nutrients (a foliar)? Someone else recommended that, but not sure it's necessary, though maybe one application of a foliar like this wouldn't hurt. Plus, the soil is still pretty damp from flush 48 hrs ago, so maybe not a good idea to reintroduce the Dr earth until soil is fairly dry?

Yes your right Let them dry up a bit don't want to get over watered . Forgot to ask what water are u using? RO or tap?
I run advanced nutes only now. I use the ph perfect line and never have a problem with ph. And I have used it long enough to know how it works with my plants. I Keep all my records and found the sweet spot. It's a learning experience :) Foliar feeding I have little experience in so I can't give advise on that.

Yes your right Let them dry up a bit don't want to get over watered . Forgot to ask what water are u using? RO or tap?

Yeah, I'm keeping a record, as well. I use tap water that sits for 24 hrs to outgas the chlorine.

Interesting. There is a feeding schedule pdf that comes directly from Dr Earth making the rounds. It advises weekly feedings of various of it's products. Two products on one week and the bud and bloom the other. But, on its web site, it suggests, "Feed container plants every 6 weeks to keep plants healthy, strong and full of buds." The box I had suggested no schedule, just the amount to use. I found one person in a thread about all this who thought the schedule seemed outrageous. That person found that a single or 2 applications of bud and bloom booster from dr. earth did just fine.

Maybe a cal/ mag supplement would help just a thought.

thought about that earlier today. But the veins go yellow rather than remaining green, as they do with a mag deficiency.
Nor are the leaves curling upwards, another sign.
A calcium deficiency is supposed to affect young leaves. They should develop chlorosis, spots, crinkle up, dwarf, develop a strap-like shape, shoots will stop growing and thicken. But I'm not seeing any of that.

All good, though - it's about process of elimination. I guess I'm leaning toward a little N deficiency, though the vein coloring is backwards, which bugs me. and the Dr earth def has N in it, as well as calcium and mag. Maybe the other possibility is just the first signs of what occurs close to end of flowering - all the leaves die... but seems kind early...Or, there was some sort of lockout due to excess salt, that's why the flush...

When I had a Dwc for this first time, I had so much growth inside the air couldn't circulate and the leafs died off till I cut them back and got air in there.
As far as cal/MG. When ever I get problems like that I go right to the manufacture and get every ingredient, amount and do the math. I get really mad when I find I am lacking in a micron nute, based on what my needs are. That's why I only use one line of food I have learned. It comes in time and with testing. Keep at it you seem to know what you are doing. :)

wildwelshman, Upinsmoke535, the Revive has only 4 ingredients, N, Ca, Mag and Iron, supposedly made especially for "yellow leaf syndrome". Now, I would never recommend this to anyone who thinks it will cure a yellow leaf issue, because there can be a number of reasons for it. But in my particular case, it seemed worth a shot, used it as a foliar 48 hrs ago. There's no way I can tell if it benefited the plants, but it doesn't seem to have hurt and I haven't noticed any increase in the number of yellow leaves, knock wood. Ya'll are right, be diligent, meticulous and proceed with caution. But you can't be too scared, either, and it's all about gaining experience. : )

Back
Top Bottom