First Journal OG Gelato x 5 & 2 x Himalayan Gold

Matt90

420 Member
Ok I started this crop on the 16 April, plant showed on 18th.
6th day in, 8L Airpots, Canna Coir & nutes.
The Gelato is a Seedsman sourced, while the HG is from Barney's Farm,
7 plants is 3 more than usual for me.
As expected, the 2nd set of leaves (3 fingered)
1 Philips 315w 930 light, using Maxibright Daylight Ballast & CDM reflector, using very little electricity compared with the much hotter & expensive HID MH & HPS,
my Bay 16 grow tent is 1m2 floor space and 2m high. It really is a great comparable system that has a great spectrum, EC is a little high, while the ph is between 5.5 - 6.0, using ph- as the water here is 7.5!
Not much to report, however I intend to continue with this journal till Harvest.
I will be giving a month for vegetative stage,
I'm hoping that harvest will be around end of July, although I have never grown either strain before. LST and may go ScroG at some point.
Any tips?

1 Philips 315w 930 light, using Maxibright Daylight Ballast & CDM reflector, using very little electricity compared with the much hotter & expensive HID MH & HPS,

Just wanted to point out that your Phillips bulb IS an HID - and a MH, lol. A ceramic metal halide, to be specific.

may go ScroG at some point.
Any tips?

Yes, if you plan on doing a SCROG grow, don't wait until you've got a lot of growth and then try to set one up. Get your grid in place before the top of your plant reaches 14", 12", or whatever distance from the soil/etc. that you plan to install it at, and begin pulling the plant back under it just as soon as that first tip grows an inch or so through it (whatever additional size is needed for you to move it to a different hole). That will encourage the growth pattern that one wants when one is doing a SCROG grow.

Good luck with everything!

You're correct, the bulbs are designed for maximum light for less £££, I should have emphasised the ceramic virtue.
Also, I won't ScroG this crop, happy training for a yield.
I stand corrected, cheers

Ok, 28/04/20.
Day 8 of leaf development, and all's well, the HG are keeping up with the OG's, 7 leaf showing, however, as is usual, in my experience, Indica strains always need at least a month of 18/6. As the height, need I say is short!
The choice of strains were on purpose, with the collection I have.
So far so good.
They are all demanding nutes, again, not unexpected, so the next feed will increase by 50%.
I'm acutely aware of the height of the light, as I have experienced, in the past, keeping it at 18" isn't an indica like, therefore I'm keeping it at 2 feet away from the plant, the alleged sweet spot.
They're beginning to show stem sites, and none have turned Hermie, yet, although I have an eye on a particular female atm, she's growing like a male, yet with shoots of flower.
You know how the first couple of weeks go, unless I do something drastically stupid, I don't think they'll be much to add, although I'm extremely pleased with my choice of seed banks.
One Love
Matt

What a difference a day makes. Full on root development and now a significant vegetative growth.
I've raised the Himalayan an inch, to keep it consistent.
I have now taken the tube radiator away, as it's done it's job, full circulation & due diligence, means that I really don't need to increase the nutes at all.
Happy grower,
Matt

One of Five OG Gelato at Day 14 of vegative stage, due to a mix of used & new medium (Canna Coir Pro.) 80% new, 20% used once before (flushed & thought I had a decent EC & PH levels), so, after accepting that they WERE pale, I flush fed a full nute blast, at PH 5.7, with a run off at 5.72, after plenty of water.
The 3rd & 4th pic is 1 of the Himalayan Gold.
I've made sure that they are at the same distance from the light (18 - 24"), checking hourly, while I'm at home. Yes, I'm still working as an "Essential Worker", however, I can't think of anything more Essential than Growing Weed.
ML&R
Matt

Attachments

• 1588431228-picsay.jpg
    1588431228-picsay.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 1588431154-picsay.jpg
    1588431154-picsay.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 1588431083-picsay.jpg
    1588431083-picsay.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 1588431016-picsay.jpg
    1588431016-picsay.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 82
Just wanted to point out that your Phillips bulb IS an HID - and a MH, lol. A ceramic metal halide, to be specific.

Yes, if you plan on doing a SCROG grow, don't wait until you've got a lot of growth and then try to set one up. Get your grid in place before the top of your plant reaches 14", 12", or whatever distance from the soil/etc. that you plan to install it at, and begin pulling the plant back under it just as soon as that first tip grows an inch or so through it (whatever additional size is needed for you to move it to a different hole). That will encourage the growth pattern that one wants when one is doing a SCROG grow.

Good luck with everything!
Also, thank you for your top tips, which I will definitely use, if I decide to go ScrOG with a crop, I'm still the ever perfectionist, and untill I feel that I'm accomplished, then I will start trying new (to this old timer) ideas for yield.
Precious tips.
ML&R ✌

Ok, Day 21, still on 18/6 veg stage, some early LST, levelling the bud growing field, I expect another 7-14 days of this early stage, Himalayan is an Indica strain through & through, the Gelato has an Indica heavy bias, which is why I am growing the 2 strains together, So, the height is irrelevant, to a point, having said that most bud sites are equalling out, watch this space for updates.
I'd estimate that the straight height of the Gelato is between 8-10 inches, whilst the HG (also a little LST & TLC) are around 6-7", hence my patience as they certainly haven't reached any stagnation stage at this time.
I know it looks messy, however, a day untethered will defeat the purpose of LST, and I will be switching, when I feel that they will grow twice as "high" by the end of stretch period, I will un-tether all as I switch, & will train them further as the main cola decides to be "Head Girl"
1589011704760154033639242418059.jpg
15890118120216801511467385737239.jpg
15890118404531948416673013024241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom