First Time Grow, Two Weeks In, Looking for Advice

I'm hesitant to crank it to the max of 400 watts as I've read some things saying to keep it a little lower at this young. And they have roommates as we're seeding tomato plants as well.

This is the advice I've seen "40 watts per square foot". My three bags are about a foot in diameter so they each take up a square foot, and the tomatoes next to them take up about 1.5 square feet so I was setting my light as close to 180 watts as I could.

I did increase it to 200 Watts as a test. Worried 400 will fry them.
great information - Most LED's recommend that one germinates at a lower rate ALSO during one's flush ( if you do one) is recommendated that one's used a lower watt - whic his done to "miminch" natrual daylight during during the fall. Basicly we are talking about light intenity - have been lowering the light to 75% at least during the last few weeks of growth. take a look at yourplants - they just don't look right - lowering the amount of wattage/intensity at end of grow can increase terpene amounts - no sense buruing them up with 100% intensity at harvest. Have just stsarted to lower watt amounts and the plants look better and are healthier. thoughts !!!!!! Note: to high of wattage during germmination can result in issues early on

I recommend that, with future planets, start off in a smaller pot and transpot when needed. I start mine in a one pint container, then move to a one gallon and finally to a five gallon. This allows for a healthy root ball.

Having said that, I recommend that you water with only a half gallon at a time. And you water the entire surface, not just the plant. This will help the roots to grow out and not just down.
like the way BOG transplants : planting the whole started container in transplant pot BUT plant it whole leaving about 1 inch or so above the medium line (ref: Bonanza of Gold ) this is done to add O2 to newly planted "start") this reduces stress in young potted plants

like the way BOG transplants : planting the whole started container in transplant pot BUT plant it whole leaving about 1 inch or so above the medium line (ref: Bonanza of Gold ) this is done to add O2 to newly planted "start") this reduces stress in young potted plants
This is good to know, thank you.
I have seen the advice that you shouldn't transplant autoflowers since they don't have time to recover. But it would probably be safer to do it the way you suggested.

Seems to me like 26" should be fine at full blast.
But , start it at 32" and lower it after a day or so.
My lights are 650w and I will turn them up full blast on a day old seedling at around 36" and just let them grow into it, every day or so they're an inch closer.
Whatever you end up doing you need to get your temps up to 80-85⁰ Humidity to about 65-70%
And don't be afraid to water
I've adjusted my lights and vent and getting it close. Ordered another heat lamp to get me the last of the way. Thanks

This is good to know, thank you.
I have seen the advice that you shouldn't transplant autoflowers since they don't have time to recover. But it would probably be safer to do it the way you suggested.
For auto's: I start seeds in the final container -no transplanting - no time lost (when transplanting the "old
way - some what breaking the rooted start - which causes stress and added time - but with autos' they have their own time frame and stick to it (auto cycle of growth: vegation stage week 1-3; flower stage weeks 4-12

Make sure those droplets are off the leaves, or they cambcause burn spots. Also.....water them bitches in! Lol dont be scared! The plants look happy, they wont mind. Since your using bottles nutes, id stick with plain water for a little bit. Ffof is plenty strong for a few weeks. The lights should be fine at that height....you can gradually increase if you want, but id let it rip. All those #'s are basic guidelines. You have to learn your plants and equipment. Those pots need a full watering though. Theyre probably already hydrophobic, so let them sit in saucers and soak up the runoff. Watering is an art IMO, but I hand water and never use synthetics. Living soil is a bit different.
I gave each pot about a half gallon of water.

I checked up on this morning but can't tell if it's making a difference yet.

One of them looks a little droopy. Wondering if it's wilting a bit as the roots are trying to catch up.

Waiting on this watering to dry before doing the full watering with run off, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

see those purple leaves !!! what strain is that again ?
Whoops! Sorry for the confusion. I'm also growing some vegetables at the same time. Brussel Sprouts, Cherry Tomatoes, and Green Peppers. Getting them a little bigger then transplanting to my outside garden.

Back
Top Bottom