First time grower: 3 days in and need help already!

MrBlobbo

420 Member
Hi all, first time grower and would really appreciate your help!

I'm using 70/30 coco (canna pre-buffered) with perlite in 15cm pots, 300w LED (not sure of actual power) about 20 inches away. Used the paper towel method and sprouted 2 days ago, watered the coco at PH 6 to 10% run off before planting, and havent watered since as it is still very wet. Have not fed nutrients yet.

They were doing well under yesterday when they all started drooping and looking a bit depressed. The stems seem strong but then the first set of leaves are lopsided on 3 different plants, and now getting quite dark green.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions very welcome! Also why is my coco taking so long to dry out, temp is about 26%C and everywhere I read it should be draining fast? There are small holes in the bottom of the pot too.

Thanks so much and sorry pics are a bit crap. Can post bigger ones if needed. Attach files

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi all, first time grower and would really appreciate your help!

I'm using 70/30 coco (canna pre-buffered) with perlite in 15cm pots, 300w LED (not sure of actual power) about 20 inches away. Used the paper towel method and sprouted 2 days ago, watered the coco at PH 6 to 10% run off before planting, and havent watered since as it is still very wet. Have not fed nutrients yet.

They were doing well under yesterday when they all started drooping and looking a bit depressed. The stems seem strong but then the first set of leaves are lopsided on 3 different plants, and now getting quite dark green.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions very welcome! Also why is my coco taking so long to dry out, temp is about 26%C and everywhere I read it should be draining fast? There are small holes in the bottom of the pot too.

Thanks so much and sorry pics are a bit crap. Can post bigger ones if needed. Attach files
what nutrient line are you using? time to start feeding 1/4 strength when the medium has lost 3/4 of its water, always, any size pot, any size plant, plants use there stored sugars as medium dries up, roots grow faster, more oxygen to roots, prevent over watering. just let them dry up and use the water in there, they have bary any roots thats why the coco still has water, just be patient buddy:) you should find out the true wattage about your light so i can help you!!

what nutrient line are you using? time to start feeding 1/4 strength when the medium has lost half its water, wait til its dried out a fair bit before you water, always, any size pot, any size plant, plants use there stored sugars as medium dries up, roots grow faster, more oxygen to roots, prevent over watering. just let them dry up and use the water in there, they have bary any roots thats why the coco still has water, just be patient buddy:) you should find out the true wattage about your light so i can help you!!

Hi thanks for the reply! I havent fed any nutrients yet, I thought because I'm using the Canna Coco pre-buffered it has enough nutrients for a week or so? What nutrients would you suggest at this stage, I have Canna A&B and Rhizotonic, anything else I should get? I also have CalMag but again I havent given any of these yet.

Yes its still very soggy so wil lleave it to half dry as you suggest.

Unfortunately the light was the first thing i bought and being overly keen/stupid I ended up buying some cheap ones from China I think. I imagine true wattage is around 100 but can't actually find any info online! I thought it's worth giving a go with these considering its my first time and 99% chance i will F it up, or is it a waste of time? To be honest I just want to see the end to end process first and learn basics, rather than hoping to get some amazing bud first time round.

Thanks for the help!

Hi thanks for the reply! I havent fed any nutrients yet, I thought because I'm using the Canna Coco pre-buffered it has enough nutrients for a week or so? What nutrients would you suggest at this stage, I have Canna A&B and Rhizotonic, anything else I should get? I also have CalMag but again I havent given any of these yet.

Yes its still very soggy so wil lleave it to half dry as you suggest.

Unfortunately the light was the first thing i bought and being overly keen/stupid I ended up buying some cheap ones from China I think. I imagine true wattage is around 100 but can't actually find any info online! I thought it's worth giving a go with these considering its my first time and 99% chance i will F it up, or is it a waste of time? To be honest I just want to see the end to end process first and learn basics, rather than hoping to get some amazing bud first time round.

Thanks for the help!
thats perfect for seedling, please send me a link of the light so i can look up on it further, use your veg nutrients, look on the back and follow instructions for mixing 1/4 strength and water when dry. I just started growing in hydro as well now so I dont know that line. but do as i suggested:)

thats perfect for seedling, please send me a link of the light so i can look up on it further, use your veg nutrients, look on the back and follow instructions for mixing 1/4 strength and water when dry. I just started growing in hydro as well now so I dont know that line. but do as i suggested:)

This is the one I bought:

It does advise to keep 5" from seedlings, seemed too close so I didn't follow that. Will do as you suggested! Thanks

Hey man @VanIslandConnoisseur is right let it soak up some of that moisture around it and fill out its new pot.
I use canna Coco A&B on all of my plants and it's super easy to use. 1/4 strength is spot on. As for Rhizo I use it at about 1/4 strength but tbh I'm not using it a lot so maybe another grower can advise you on it.
Good luck man and if you think some things wrong just check your pH and Ec out first.

Hey man @VanIslandConnoisseur is right let it soak up some of that moisture around it and fill out its new pot.
I use canna Coco A&B on all of my plants and it's super easy to use. 1/4 strength is spot on. As for Rhizo I use it at about 1/4 strength but tbh I'm not using it a lot so maybe another grower can advise you on it.
Good luck man and if you think some things wrong just check your pH and Ec out first.

Will definitely follow your suggestions and let you know how I get on. Thanks!

I left it to dry and brought the lights down to 8", they have shot up and looking much better!

The coco also dried out 50-75% so i spritzed with water with canna a/b at qtr strength (ph6 combined) until run off just started appearing. Will leave now again to dry out 50% and do the same.

Bottom left and top right look a bit stretchy, should I be doing anything? Appreciate any help, thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 123
I left it to dry and brought the lights down to 8", they have shot up and looking much better!

The coco also dried out 50-75% so i spritzed with water with canna a/b at qtr strength (ph6 combined) until run off just started appearing. Will leave now again to dry out 50% and do the same.

Bottom left and top right look a bit stretchy, should I be doing anything? Appreciate any help, thanks!!
keep it up:) You can lower the light now an inch at a time, but just keep the light 6" above as it grows, youll have to adjust as it gets taller! enjoy! if you can afford a light, youll need within 2wks to start vegging!! hope yoh can get one asap

keep it up:) You can lower the light now an inch at a time, but just keep the light 6" above as it grows, youll have to adjust as it gets taller! enjoy! if you can afford a light, youll need within 2wks to start vegging!! hope yoh can get one asap

Thanks! Can you recommend me a good light which is not over the top for beginners?

Hi hope you are well! Ive ordered the TS1000 so should get them this coming week, thanks for the recommendation.

I've been continuing as you suggested and 2 of them are looking strong but one of them actually has a root poking out of the bottom of the pot now (pic attached), do I need to move to a bigger pot? What size do suggest I use next?

2 of them are a lot smaller, 1 of them is really tiny still but seem to look ok! Do I keep going with nutrients at 1/4 strength?

Will keep going as I am unless you have any suggestions :) was just worried about the root poking out of the bottom.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 99
  • image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 97
yes
Hi hope you are well! Ive ordered the TS1000 so should get them this coming week, thanks for the recommendation.

I've been continuing as you suggested and 2 of them are looking strong but one of them actually has a root poking out of the bottom of the pot now (pic attached), do I need to move to a bigger pot? What size do suggest I use next?

2 of them are a lot smaller, 1 of them is really tiny still but seem to look ok! Do I keep going with nutrients at 1/4 strength?

Will keep going as I am unless you have any suggestions :) was just worried about the root poking out of the bottom.

Thanks!
yes transplant to 1gallon when you see roots

This morning the newer leaves coming through are looking yellow - is this what you mean? Sorry about the pic. The older leaves are still very green.

The transplant was a bit of a disaster as it wasn't dry enough and half fell apart, but I supported the stem with additional coco and it seems to be ok and growing still..any special care needed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom