First timer

smoke2wellnes

The title is not exactly true... this would be my second grow. The first grow, I had 8 plants and used CFLs. The yield was 3.5 0z, is that good or bad? I'm plannin on usin HPS next time. Should I use 400 or 600 watts for the this particular space. I'm not too concerned with stealthyness because my room mate is totally cool and when the closet is closed you can't tell.

Overall it was not a complete failure. Where I did fail horribly was in my odor control. I'm using a closet that is 2 ft deep x 5 ft wide x 8 ft h. I used the following fan and carbon filter: 6 Inch Inline Hydroponic s Exhaust Tube Duct Fan 440 CFM Blower and Carbon Air Filter Combo, and SE Electronic Stepless Speed Controller, which I kept on medium-high all the time.

I have some pics for a better illustration but I am not able to attach them. Can someone please explain how to attach them and how to remove all of my digital info that could be traced on the pic file (if any). I've heard horror stories with said data in picture files specially with mobile phones... beware! any pic you take/send thru a cell phone can be used to pin point your exact location using the GPS satellites in orbit, the same ones in your car or phone use.

The ceiling in this closet is of a poreous ceiling board, like the ones in schools used in drop down ceilings. I attempted to seal it with poly film. I used painters tape to tape it to the drywall and exhaust vent. On the vent 2 sides did not stick well and remain open with a 2-3 inch gap. I didn't think this would matter because the vent was right there and all that air was being pulled out. At the base the film stuck to the plywood (5ft w x18 inches high) becasue of the suction. I was using the piece of lumbar to enclose the bottom of the closet which I lined with tarp to prevent the carpet from being ruined.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by a novice like me.

Re: Firsttimer...

Hey there my friend, I congratulate you on your first haul of 3.5 Oz's using CFL's thats great. As for loading pics check out the link in my signature: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos and you are all set. Good luck on the next grow and the difference in 600wt and 400wts is yield, and energy cost. It will definitely amp up your grow.

the_ceiling_inside_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG
seam_inside_view_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG
floor_of_closet_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG
exhaustvent2_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG
breach_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG
Base_passive_intake_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG
1_of_2_seams_outside_view_-_Copy_-_Copy.JPG

:thanks: my friend!! I appreciate what you are trying to do and would think duct tape and plastic sheeting would work fine, you could also try to get a window insulation kit, with tape and a blow drier you can seal anything.
:goodluck:

Can someone please look at the pics I posted. There is a gap in by the vent from where the poly film did not stick to the vent to make it air tight. Is that enough cause a big odor problem... I could smell it in the hall way and my neighbor could smell it next door ( luckily she's cool). Obviously the odor was getting out... could this be the only source? I'm planning on installing drywall to seal the ceiling.

Any advice on my odor control issue... Please help. I don't want to get in trouble and I don't want to be out in the shady part of town buying... I really want to limit my exposure.

Thank you in advance for all advice:welcome:

I guess my question is... What is the proper way to seal the cealing in my situation? And is the poly film enough to seal the front of the closet? I have the carbon filter and fan... I just was not able to contain the odor. The gap by the vent, is that enough to cause such a big odor problem or was it also the way I sealed the front?

Thanks everyone that has takent he time to reply with suggestion so far
:thanks:

smoke , a temporary solution you MAY use is a fragrance (lets say roses as an example) there for your grow room area will smell like roses instead if MJ plants ;) I know its just a temporary solution but it can help you untill you find you a good way to cover the smell (and im sure you can do it , all you need is a little help from our forum members) If you chose this temporary solution i advise you to store the fragrance releaser outside the grow box (in order to keep your plants safe and desiese free) There are lots of this products that will not hurt plants , and they are also quite cheap ^^

ok, u've got plenty of fan. how old is u're filter? if the closet isn't finished out, get some sheetrock & finish it. then get caulk for EVERY crack. next is the door. i have a small closet (2x3x8) that i use occasionally & i used sticky back sponge sealer on the door facing (where the door meets the wood). there will be a crack under the door u need to seal. i nailed down a 2x2 to the floor & used sealer tape on that as well. the sponge sealer i'm refering to is the same stuff u'd use to put around a pu truck bed to seal when u install a topper. available at wallyworld or any auto supply store. don't forget to put a lock on the door. good luck & keep growin'!!!

Thanks for the advise. I used this commercial grade odor eliminator: NI-712. It would only last as long as the mist lasted. I'm sure this method scent/masking works but it is just not for me, I just don't have the time. I have the fan and carbon filter, It just didn't work last time.

The filter was brand new out of the box as well as the fan. I have since sealed the ceiling with 'rigid foam'

check out this link: DIY Grow closet for under $100
4x4x8 Grow Closet For Under $100: Part One - YouTube

I used that to cover the ceiling and used caulking to seal the edges. I cut a hole in the rigid foam and inserted and duct adapter, then applied caulking to seal any leaks around it. It allows me to connect the duct to this fixture on either side of board while the fixtured is sealed in place. the only place that is going to have a leak is the base of the poly film, I'm going to use that as my intake.

I believe it's the way I'm using my fan/filter, I'm pulling the air out >> it gets pulled thru the fan >> then immediately pushed thru the filter and out. I've been reading a lot lately and all I've read suggests that I need to pull the air thru the filter and out of the room? Could this be it? and I removed the pre-filter that is supposed to be around the filter ( I didn't know).

Thank you both for taking the time to help a newbie like me.

fresh air needs to come into the space, then thru the filter, then thru the fan. i'd put the pre-filter back on. just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom