'For Me, This Is Life Or Death': Auburn Emcee Speaks Out On NY's MMJ Program

Robert Celt

New York state's medical marijuana program officially launched this month, but some local advocates and those who the program is designed to help say the system is inaccessible and complicated.

Art Wenzel, an Auburn benefit organizer and emcee, held a press conference Wednesday afternoon at A.T. Walley & Co. to express his frustration with the state's medical marijuana program.

"I'm here to advocate for others with multiple sclerosis and cancer. We need the state to step up and make this more accessible," he said.

Wenzel was diagnosed with lung cancer in March after undergoing treatment for other unrelated illnesses. Wenzel decided after one month of chemotherapy to take a more naturopathic route to his treatment, including cannabis oil or pills that he believes might help cure him.

But Wenzel said the state has yet to fully implement its medical marijuana program, making it difficult to obtain the medication.

The program launched 18 months after Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the Compassionate Care Act. The two bills allowed patients with degenerative and progressive medical conditions to receive special certification to acquire prescriptions.

Certified patients who have cancer, HIV/AIDS, ALS, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, intractable spasticity caused by damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathies and Huntington's disease are able to participate in the program, according to the state Health Department.

As of Jan. 19 there are 246 physicians registered for the program, and 239 patients have been certified by their doctors, according to the state Health Department.

Doctors interested in registering must complete a four-hour online course provided by TheAnswerPage, and pay a $249 fee, according to their website.

Eight dispensing facilities opened for business Jan. 7 in Onondaga, Erie, Albany, Ulster and Weschester counties, and in Manhattan, according to the state Department of Health. As of Jan. 15 all eight dispensaries have seen patients, according to the Associated Press.

Susan Rusinko, an Auburn medical marijuana legalization advocate who has shared her story with The New York Times and made multiple trips to Albany to meet with state legislators, was also present during the press conference Wednesday. Rusinko was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis more than a decade ago, and has since used medical marijuana as part of her treatment.

Rusinko said she believes that doctors are hesitant to join the program, and if more were educated about it, she feels there would be more interest.

"I think that doctors are afraid, but I think that if doctors were more educated on the program then I think you would see more and more of them coming forward and taking the class (to register)," Rusinko said.

Wenzel said the program has the ability to provide those like Rusinko a chance to alleviate and ease pain, but for him it's more dire.

"For me, this is life or death," Wenzel said.

The state Department of Health said they will have a database soon that identifies registered physicians who consented to be listed. This tool will be for physicians, nurse practitioners and those licensed health-care practitioners who treat the specified diseases and conditions. This practice is consistent with the other 21 state's that have medical marijuana programs.

Officials were unable to provide a more specific timeline on when that tool will become available.

"What is 'soon' to the state? It could be six months, it could be six years," Wenzel said. "It's a pretty wide open word. It's pretty frustrating."

New York is one of the strictest of the 23 states that allow medical marijuana, Wenzel said.

"Sadly, I can go out and get cannabis oil now for $50 locally. I'm trying to do this legitimately though," he said. "I'm trying to go through the process, and the process is quite dysfunctional right now."

Art_Wenzel.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 'For Me, This Is Life Or Death': Auburn Emcee Speaks Out On NY's MMJ Program
Author: Jordyn Reiland
Photo Credit: Sarah Jean Condon

Back
Top Bottom