For Mystery Readers Only

pete2

To make a long story short. 5 months ago I started a grow room and planted 4 seeds.First 3 months everything was ok.In the last 2 months all 4 have wilted and died,still don't know what killed them.I also had a tomato plant mixed in with my other plants.It also wilted and died the same time that my last plant died.Now I am putting in a hydroponic DWC system and am worried that what killed my first plants will kill my 2nd set.I am wondering if it is something that is airborn? I sprayed a light coat of something called Quat sanitizer-Restaurants use,I thought it would be alright to use.If you have any ideal I would love to hear them.HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE:thumb::thanks::thanks:

It's more likely something environmental or in the water than something airborne that just all of a sudden wafted by your house and killed your plants after three months of them growing fine...

That WOULD be a mystery and I'm eager to hear about it if that's what happened, but I'm skeptical at the moment.

Do you have any pictures of the plants when they first started showing signs of problems? I think that's the only way you'll get a straight answer to your question. Did you do look at the root balls or anything like that to determine the base cause?

It's more likely something environmental or in the water than something airborne that just all of a sudden wafted by your house and killed your plants after three months of them growing fine...

That WOULD be a mystery and I'm eager to hear about it if that's what happened, but I'm skeptical at the moment.

Do you have any pictures of the plants when they first started showing signs of problems? I think that's the only way you'll get a straight answer to your question. Did you do look at the root balls or anything like that to determine the base cause?

Im pretty new to this so no I didn't look at the roots just got rid of it I posted and up loaded a pictured at the time this started I have no ideal how to find it now :thanks::thumb::goodjob:

I found it way back there on your post history. It looks like they were heavily over fed to me. What were you feeding them?

I found it way back there on your post history. It looks like they were heavily over fed to me. What were you feeding them?

Fox Farm products Tiger bloom-grow big-big bloom.I was wondering if it was the food but I put that tomato plant in there and was only feeding it miracle-grow that's why Im worried about putting anything in to grow

Fox Farm products Tiger bloom-grow big-big bloom.I was wondering if it was the food but I put that tomato plant in there and was only feeding it miracle-grow that's why Im worried about putting anything in to grow

That's a thinker...

Do you know the PPM of your starting water or the source of it (city water/well water/rain water)

Maybe you were over feeding the tomato plant too? Just thinking of all the options here. It's good to sterilize your room every now and then anyway, whether you think something is wrong or not. You could just wipe all the walls and everything down with bleach. I prefer sulfur dioxide gas, but if you grow in your living space, that's probably not a good idea.

EDIT: make sure you get EVERY surface with the bleach including the pots, just wipe them off with a paper towel instead of letting them dry naturally and you shouldn't have a problem with it affecting your plants.

10% might work better for a normal household bleach.

Thank you for your time and advice.I will keep posting as things progress

No problem. keep us updated for sure.

OK, so you sprayed ammonia on your plants and they all died. Gee. I wonder what could have killed them.

The ammonia in household cleansers forms aqueous ammonia, and ammonium and hydroxide ions. Although ammonium ions are effective as fertilizer, the aqueous ammonia is toxic and kills plants.

The moral of today's story: do the research BEFORE you wipe out all your plants with poison.

Back
Top Bottom