Full Faith and Credit Clause, and my Recommendation

redcannon

Article VI, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution states:
"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

This means that if California grants me a marriage license, other states are required to recognize it. They have to give all acts, records, and proceedings of California "full faith and credit".

Does this mean that a state like Alabama, with no MMJ laws, is constitutionally bound to recognize the legitimacy of my doctor's recommendation for medicinal marijuana? If I have my rec on me, will I avoid prosecution is other states?

It is, after all, written in the US Constitution, which is supreme over all other laws in the nation.

Unfortunately, the Oregon Court of Appeals has just determined that Full Faith and Credit does not apply to Medical Marijuana patients who cross state lines. Their decision is here Oregon Judicial Department Appellate Court Opinions. California and Oregon are both Medical Marijuana states...one would think the best case scenario...but nooooo.

Not to say that cases in other states would end up like this, but precedent has now been set. Not a good thing at all.

There is a higher court that this could be taken to, so there might be a glimmer of hope...a faint and far off one. And passing full legalization this fall would keep others from suffering the same fate.

Back
Top Bottom