Furnace Carbon Filters

Android

I just purchased 12 pack of filters for ~$115 off a website.
I already have one mini-room exhausting air into the furnace return stack, but now I'll also have a 10x6 tent in the other room exhausting air in HVAC. I will let you guys know how well those filters work.

My mini room (4.5 x 4.5 x 5) already has one DIY carbon filter in the room, and one more where it connected to the HVAC stack.
I am looking into a possibility to get rid of both can-type carbon filters completely and convert everything to whole house carbon filtration. These 16x20x1 carbon filters is just the first step. My mini room is in 3rd week of flowering, so once I get them in the mail, I will try to remove DIY filters and check for any foul smells around the house, and let you guys know what's up.

If someone has already had experience with furnace carbon filters - please let me know how it went

I use the furnace filters to make my carbon filter. I have an older house and I don't use the ventilation system as I have a natural gas fire place in winter and window a/c in summer so I can't say how it's gonna work but in theory brother it sounds plausible definitely. Then one's I got are $10 a pop at walmart and I switch them out about every 2 or 3 months they worked wonders for me. And when I expanded my grow I just made a bigger filter and used 4 of them.

No I made a frame for it out of mesh screen like window screen, chicken wire, whatever I had handy at the moment used a endcap clamped to the top and clamped the other end to my ducting and zip tied the filters around the screen and pulled air thru them just like a store bought carbon filter. Voucher are you sure you had a carbon furnace filter? I used 4 of them to make 1 carbon filter and it killed the smell of 35 plants... I always get the cut to fit type that eliminate all smells it has a dog and someone smoking on the front.

Oh, I see, you made a can filter out of them? Removed the cardboard from furnace filters and wrapped the material around a mesh in a circle?

I made refillable round (can-type) filters using loose carbon pellets in between two different diameter mesh cylinders instead of the way you went - they work like a champ. I am guessing the filter fabric might even be better than loose pellets that were made to filter water, not air. It would certainly flow better (have less air resistance) - that's for sure. Never thought of that...

Right now I am thinking about two different options: 1st - keep can-type filters I already have, make one more filter (bigger) using your technique for the new tent and use rectangular ones in the furnace just to make sure there is no smell; the 2nd option would be - to make a rectangular frame 16x20x1 out of the small mesh, fill it up with loose carbon pellets and put in the place where furnace filter used to be. My concern is that it might flow poorly and put additional stress on the furnace fan (2nd concern that it won't fill-up evenly and will still let the smells through due to insufficient thickness.

I use the cut to fit type they come with 2 filters one is for smell and the other to keep dust out of the carbon filter. They don't have the cardboard frame like other furnace filters. Yea I was originally going to make a can filter out of the loose carbon but figured I should use something thats made 2 filter air because like you I was worried about stress.

Back
Top Bottom