Georgia: Lawmakers Go On Marijuana Fact-Finding Trip To Colorado

Jacob Redmond

The father of medical marijuana legislation in Georgia is leading a two-day delegation to Colorado to explore what the state learned from its great pot experiment.

State Rep. Allen Peake said the Monday-to-Tuesday visit aims to get a better understanding of Colorado's regulatory structure for cultivating medical marijuana. He was quick to add, though, that any notion of legalizing the drug for recreational use in Georgia is off the table.

"The biggest question may be what do we make sure that we don't do," the Macon Republican said of the trip.

Medical marijuana has been legal in Colorado since 2000, when voters approved a constitutional amendment allowing patients to possess up to 2 ounces of the drug. The state decriminalized recreational marijuana use in 2012, and retail stores began selling it about a year later.

Georgia has so far taken a cautious approach.

After much debate, Gov. Nathan Deal signed legislation in April that legalizes medical marijuana for those suffering from certain conditions but still makes cultivating the drug off-limits. Peake and other lawmakers are exploring whether to legalize and regulate the in-state cultivation of cannabis oil, which has divided lawmakers.

Peake and state Sen. Butch Miller, both Republicans who are Deal's floor leaders, are leading the delegation. Also on the trip are Georgia Bureau of Investigation head Vernon Keenan; Deal aides Ryan Teague and Jen Talaber; Chuck Spahos of the Prosecuting Attorneys' Council; and Paulding County Sheriff Gary Gulledge.

The journey will include trips to a lab where a marijuana plant is processed into medicinal oil, a meeting with the state's directory of marijuana enforcement and a visit to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

"Colorado is a different animal than Georgia and we don't intend to go down that path at all," said Peake. "But it's good to get input from folks who have been dealing with it for several years, to learn the pitfalls they've experienced so that we can learn from them."

16475.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Lawmakers Go On Marijuana Fact-Finding Trip To Colorado
Author: Greg Bluestein
Photo Credit: Brant Sanderlin

"He was quick to add, though, that any notion of legalizing the drug for recreational use in Georgia is off the table."
Yep, because they love putting nonviolent people in prison so much and making money from a war they can't win. :rollingeyes:

Georgia has so far taken a cautious approach.
Meanwhile, thousands of sick people keep suffering while they drag they're feet. :rollingeyes:

"Colorado is a different animal than Georgia and we don't intend to go down that path at all," said Peake.
Why? Because the people in Colorado deserve to be treated better than the people in Georgia that your supposed to represent? Really? WTF!? :scratchinghead::rolleyes3

And people wonder why we here in the south keep getting a bad rap for being slow and that we're all a bunch of back woods rednecks? Just look at the yahoos we keep electing into office who are just absolutely clueless to the real world and whom don't even care about who they hurt to keep deepening they're pockets more and more! I'm sorry Colorado, don't judge us too harshly based on these idiots, they aren't a very good representative of what all Georgians are like, some of us actually do have common sense.

I'm getting tired of the spin of Medical Cannabis vs. Recreational Cannabis. It's the same damn plant. Yes, people use cannabis for different reasons. People who use pot for recreational purposes get the same benefits as those who use it for medicinal reasons. I hope State Rep. Allen Peake smoked some of Colorado's finest herb during his visit so he reflect on his ignorant ass comments he made!

Plus, why would he goto a legal state to review the states structure for cannabis if he says recreational is off the table? If State Rep. Allen Peake is only interested in "Medical Marijuana", go and review a state that only has "Medical" available to the people. That's kinda like going to the World Series to watch a baseball game only to find out you should be watching your kid play in a little league game. :rofl:

I'm getting tired of the spin of Medical Cannabis vs. Recreational Cannabis. It's the same damn plant. Yes, people use cannabis for different reasons. People who use pot for recreational purposes get the same benefits as those who use it for medicinal reasons. I hope State Rep. Allen Peake smoked some of Colorado's finest herb during his visit so he reflect on his ignorant ass comments he made!

No doubt my friend, it seems like most of this country as well as Mexico and Canada along with other countries around the world are finally waking up to reality, while this part of the country is stuck in a coma and refuses to wake up.

If anyone here hasn't watched it yet, I highly recommend looking up and watching a three part series called "Marijuana, Miracle Cure", it's very inspiring and eye opening on the benefits of Cannabis to everyone in the world. It turns out that our bodies are hard wired for Cannabis almost like God purposely put it here to keep us healthy and that doctors and scientist's are discovering that our bodies naturally produce it's own form of the same chemicals that are found in Cannabis and that ingesting Cannabis is probably one of the most healthy things you can do for yourself in the world.

All that proven scientific information and these people are still "having to go see how it's done in Colorado"? WTF!!!?

Plus, why would he goto a legal state to review the states structure for cannabis if he says recreational is off the table?

I think what they're talking about is seeing how the production of the CBD oil works, not how the legal structure works...even though the revenue from Colorado's Cannabis production is booming and could do the same for Georgia, they're not interested in that aspect because our militant law enforcement agencies won't have any part of potentially loosing they're jobs by ending this war. It's all about control my friend...always!

Back
Top Bottom