Go Digital or Magnetic? (Ballasts)

HAPPY GRASS

Been quite a while since I posted something, for those who know me and veterans hello, new comers welcome. I'm interested in going with a 1,000W digital ballast from a magnetic 1,000W PL model. I have been getting mixed thoughts on the matter so I decided to start this thread to get some feedback on different products for myself and future people's interest. Please give as much information regarding your experience with a digital ballast and please... please remember to include the model you are commenting about. Helpful information includes but not limited to;

-Electric Efficiency (Magnetic vs. Digital)
-Lumen Output
-Mobility
-Heat Output
-Quality & Durability
-Warranty
-Features

**Please don't post reviews on magnetic ballasts, recommendations are ok but don't go into details**

Happy Grass.....Tech does make for a good topic.I would say they both do the job 1000w is 1000w but i can rebuild my ballist in about 30min and the parts are easy to get. that would be the only advantage i see to and mag ballast.so my down time is about an hour if one of my lights goes down.even if Digital is under warranty it you will still be down for a week with shiping.that would be my only fear to be in the middle of bloom and pop a light.thats just my 2 cents.all the advantage goes to the magnetic but that one.

Thanks bro, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I see you have came a long way from the 1,000 post, ebb n flow, soil is dirty days. If you know of anyone else using digi's have them come by and give their take on the subject. Good luck on the grow...

P.S.
The D.N.A. L.A. Con seeds you were contemplating have a tremendous pheno if you can find it. Can't get the plant to yield much but oh boy I can't stop growing it.

hi happy grass......ok the info im about to give is from reading on the net and my hydro shop guys advice....i believe it to be quite accurate....ok i use the future tech digital ballest.....which i can swap and change from MH to HPS by just changing the bulb.....my understanding of machanical ballasts...and remember i used 2 of them on my first grow with great results is this......i used 2 x 400 watt machanical balllast ...the ballast were firing up at a rate of 400 watts however they can t sustain the 400 watts whilst continuely running....they drop down to around 250 watts this is because they are indeed mechanical...also they have no fans inside the ballast to cool it when they reach a certain tempreture...the mechanicas kick in and reduce wattage so they dont over heat....im sure we are all aware of the heat generated by these type of ballasts...ok digital ballasts fire up and sustain wattage digitally so don t drop at all (they have built in fans )....they use in my case half the electricity...less heat in the grow room...which helps......(mine are screwed to the wall out the way of water overspill )......also if you use a sunmaster bulb they advertise you get 5000 more lumenens from the bulb if you use a digital ballast (check the sunmaster website)....i was also informed not to go with a 1000watt digital ballest 2 x 600 watt does a better job not only for added wattage ......better light spread too.......after growing with both type of lights digital come out on top for me every time......ive certainly noticed a massive difference in my buds....under machanical ballest i grew great size buds.....but they were never very dence.......the buds i grow now under the digital ballast are bigger tighter buds a lot more dense...ie weighter.......im planning on adding another 600 watt for my next grow so that should be interesting.........all this info is what ive learnt if anyone feels it inaccurate please shout up.....hope this helps.....be lucky weedtastic

Hey Happy,
I am a noob when it comes to growing but in my field of work as an electrician the use of magnetic ballast went long ago to digital for a few simple reasons efficiency,quality and cost...

Well, in our case and the "digital" being new tech the cost has not shown its pretty head yet but the quality and most important efficiency is here today...and if we are only talking 10%-15% savings on electrical cost then those of use that have to pay the electrical bill know how much that can add up to when running a couple of HPS systems.

Then throw on top of that the Lumatek 600w digital that I am running is able to switch from 360w to 400w to 600w with a super lumen shot that bumps the lumens and extra 10% on top of the 20%-30% more that the digital supplies over mechanical...Well big is more as they say!

So with this one Ballast I run a 600w M.H for Veg then change over to the 600w HPS for the final show.and still have the option of reducing cost by going with a lower watt bulb without needing to replace the ballast.....!

I forgot to add how nice the purple anodizing looks on the aluminum cooling fins :thumb:

Thanks Believer, very useful information. You forgot to mention the model of your ballast, can you post?

Back
Top Bottom