Got some questions about R/O water and using it for the first time with seedlings!

Hey everyone.

So I've just started using R/O water as I have pretty crappy water, 0.6 EC straight out the tap. I have a few questions, I've been looking around but haven't been able to find all the answers I'm looking for.

I germinated some seeds a week ago. I soaked them in plain R/O for about 8 hours until all had sunk to the bottom. I followed Xlr8's seed germination tutorial. The only thing I have done differently is that I flipped the rapid rooters upside down and made a new hole with a scalpal to place the seed. After 60 hours of wondering non stop if I've done everything correctly the first signs of life appeared, what a relief that was to see and a fantastic site. Another 12 hours or so pass and all have broken ground with 100% success rate. This is my first time growing and germinating any seeds in general, was pretty chuffed with that. Xlr8's technique for germinating seeds is fantastic. All the girls are looking pretty good I think.

My seedlings are under a T5 running 24 hours atmo and about 5 inches underneath, humidity between 50/60%, temperature underneath the light in the tray is 25c ish and the room temperature is 24c ish.

I've been using nothing but plain R/O water and the girls have been up and out of the ground for their 3rd day now. I haven't been using any form of PH up or down with the R/O water, I've just been using it plain as is haven't been able to find much information. In Xlr8's tutorial he said soak the seeds in plain R/O water so have continued watering with that for now.

What I want to know is when do I need to start adding cal/mag to my R/O water and when should I also start PHing it as I know R/O water doesn't PH too well off the bat with nothing added to it. I've read my seedlings still have enough food to keep them going for another 4/7 days inside them. As I've never used R/O water before and never germinated or cared for any seeds before I'd appreciate any advice anyone with a bit more experience can give me with feeding my seedlings and with using my R/O water with them and using R/O water in general?

Many thanks
TerpKing!

Re: Got some questions about R/O water and using it for the first time with seedlings

I'd start the calmag right away, although not really necessary early on, it can't hurt and could help.

You only need to pH RO water if you've added anything to it. The PPM is so low in RO water that it changes to match to soil, and has almost no ability to change the pH of the soil.

Back
Top Bottom