Grandmother's Death in Botched Drug Raid Leads to $4.9 Million Settlement

The 2006 killing of Kathryn Johnston gave the American public a window into the rampant incompetence and needless violence that so often characterizes modern drug enforcement. A massive settlement announced today will hopefully serve as a vivid reminder to police that dirty tactics can carry a heavy price.

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- The city of Atlanta will pay $4.9 million to the family of Kathryn Johnston, a 92-year-old woman killed in a botched November 2006 drug raid, Mayor Kasim Reed's office announced Monday.

Johnston was shot to death by narcotics officers conducting a "no-knock" warrant. Investigators later determined the raid was based on falsified paperwork stating that illegal drugs were present in the home.

In the four years since Johnston's death, we've seen equally dramatic national controversies emerge from Berwyn Heights, MD and Columbia, MO, as well as countless other disturbing events that for whatever reason failed to generate national outrage. I can only imagine that the next great drug raid fiasco is just around the corner. Until the drug war is brought to an end, the loss of innocent lives will continue and the cost of cleaning up the mess will fall on every one of us.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Author: Scott Morgan
Copyright: 2010 StoptheDrugWar.org
Website: Grandmother's Death in Botched Drug Raid Leads to $4.9 Million Settlement

Michelle Obama said that when Barack was elected she was proud of her country for the first time. Funny because to be honest I'm still waiting to say that shooting old ladys dogs and whom ever else they want PLEASE someone reign in the cops are you serious. Have you looked around proud yeah right not only am I not proud I regret my 7+ years in the Army and would take it back if I could.....mean while cops all over the country frame, lie, steal and oh yes do what ever they want and then run around and act like they have some moral high ground. Am I supposed to care when they get laid off........ NOT....why do we continue to allow this crap?

A life was lost, and for what? A public health issue? people will do what they want with there body, and is it anyone's place to say they shouldn't. When this behavior starts to affect others thing should be done to prevent further damage but a person will do what they want, we being humans with freewill and all. So, why is it okay to use guns to tell some one what to do with there person? do cops storm into thanksgiving dinner shoot the dog, take away the kids and destroy everything because big aunt betty decided to get a second helping of taters and gravy? A rule I learned in film school was, see a gun use a gun. And a lesson I learned in the hood is, "GUNS KILL PEOPLE!", good people, bad people, babies and grandmas. So why use guns to save someone from themselves. prevent the suicide by committing murder.

Back
Top Bottom