Green Dragon - Really really bad breath?

Gramps

420 Member
Hi all, newbie on board. Have fond memories of late '60's but out of the loop ever since.

Recently got some very high CBD/low THC strain to test for my insomnia. Seems to help a bit but...

When first received it, smoke a little just to test. Pleasant old school smell, reminded me of herb from way back when. Zero psychotropic effect as I would expect (and hoped for) a bit of body relaxation and bronchial dilation.

Got some EverClear figuring to brew up a Green Dragon tincture I think it is called...decarb first, then slow cook in the ethanol over double boiler. Ground it up and put on parchment paper in 200 degree oven for 20 minutes and was hit by mild but quite nasty chemical aroma, sort of solvent meets plastic or something like that. I know the grower provider well enough to trust that this was carefully and organically grown in soil.

I proceeded to do the EverClear extraction and the tincture stinks also. Hasn't killed me. Yet... but wife says even next evening, 20+ hours later, that my breath stinks like chemicals, exact same smell as the tincture.

Any ideas what's up with this???

Thanks in advance for any in put!

Get your weed somewhere else.

Thank you Mutt. This person does know what they are doing. This stuff was a gift from a trial plant/variety in garden. They were as surprised as I was and have no idea what the smell is. As I mentioned, it smelled fine "cold" and smoked, tasted fine smoked; the smell only showed up when slow baked and in alch. extract. I trust the person and am really just curious about any chemistry ideas

Just had an idea... This was a "new" experimental strain, super high CBD/super low TCH. If the breeding of it also produced an unusually high level of turpenes, could that be it?

I don't think terpenes will smell chemical, they tend to smell pleasant and natural like pine smell etc. There are many different terpenes and terpinoids that smell different of course so I could be wrong.

I would look at your alcohol source. Strong alcohols are usually denatured (i.e. have something added to them) to discourage human consumption. I would also try and purify the plant matter by first making a water infusion and then tossing it to get rid of chlorophyll and traces of nutrients.

Inkdot, thanks. Alcohol was commercial EverClear straight from bottle though admittedly, a cheaper brand. I ended up just tossing the whole deal since the pot was free and a strain not available for more. Have gotten a more "normal" Indica (Blue Elephant) and experimenting w/ increasing doses of tincture until last night I successfully managed to kick my own ass into oblivion. Just on the bordeline of full blown hallucinations. Could barely manipulate to shut down computer before staggering (yes that is the accurate word) off to bed. Whew. At least I know the current stuff is good as is it's tincture! And no stick...

Thanks again

I doubt it was anything in the everclear.

The problem with concentraits is ....... they concentraite everything. So, if there is a minumal amount of pesticides on your bud when you go to concentraite it .... then you also end up concentraiting whatever chemicals are in the bud. So, it's very important to use only organically grown bud for your concentrates. It's even more important when running BHO and the like. Since, they concentrate the bad stuff even more.

I doubt it was anything in the everclear.

The problem with concentraits is ....... they concentraite everything. So, if there is a minumal amount of pesticides on your bud when you go to concentraite it .... then you also end up concentraiting whatever chemicals are in the bud. So, it's very important to use only organically grown bud for your concentrates. It's even more important when running BHO and the like. Since, they concentrate the bad stuff even more.
Totally agree with that and I think same goes for unconcentrated i.e. smoked, ground and eaten, whatever... I don't really know for sure but I doubt that someone consuming a concentrate will intake more total than someone using the plain old. It is much stronger/more concentrated so they will use a much small volume/weight. Net result I think...would likely be about same intake of poisons.

GO ORGANIC!!! ;)

I don't think terpenes will smell chemical, they tend to smell pleasant and natural like pine smell etc. There are many different terpenes and terpinoids that smell different of course so I could be wrong.

I would look at your alcohol source. Strong alcohols are usually denatured (i.e. have something added to them) to discourage human consumption. I would also try and purify the plant matter by first making a water infusion and then tossing it to get rid of chlorophyll and traces of nutrients.

Terpenes don't smell like chemicals? What about the strain Diesel, or Chemdawg? Jack's Cleaner? I have a Durban Poison pheno that smells pretty toxic sometimes. Just saying I'm spretty sure that terpenes can smell VERY chemical like.

As to what caused your tincture to smell that way Gramps...it was probably just strong in chlorophyl as Ink mentioned. Yet I've had extracts of the "chemical smelling" strains come out "chemical smelling" as well. I just don't do alcohol tinctures.

Terpenes don't smell like chemicals? What about the strain Diesel, or Chemdawg? Jack's Cleaner? I have a Durban Poison pheno that smells pretty toxic sometimes. Just saying I'm spretty sure that terpenes can smell VERY chemical like.

As to what caused your tincture to smell that way Gramps...it was probably just strong in chlorophyl as Ink mentioned. Yet I've had extracts of the "chemical smelling" strains come out "chemical smelling" as well. I just don't do alcohol tinctures.
I would bet that you are on to the answer. Anyway, gone now and on to the Purple Elephant...

Back
Top Bottom