Gro room problems

alpha1

Since I'm a newbee I'm attempting to find which type of growing works for me. I have a lot of questions and I hope you will give me answers if it's not to much problem.

I have had success growing one plant outside. It was a female that reached 30" in height. I had to up root it because questions were being asked by a neighbor as to the nature of the plant.

Soooooooooo, I moved into a 2' X 2' X 3.5' end of my clothes closet. A six bulb vanity light was configured to have 2 ea. 300 floro watts at either end. There are 4 ea.100 floro watt bulbs in the other sockets give me 1,000 floro watts of power. The area is painted flat white, however, 4 ea. vehicle dash sun reflectors cover 90% of the walls. The same reflection material was used to make the light bar reflector. A humidifier & small fan are in the area and black plastic covers the louvers of a 6' by 3.5' door.

Problems: Fertilizer burn of seedlings (flushed with plain water), inconsistent temps & humidity and distance from the lights to the plants.

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure exactly what your questions are.. As far as the seedlings go, I wouldn't feed them for the first couple of weeks. They have all the nutrients they need in the soil. This will eliminate burning them. Also, when you do start to feed, start off at 1/4 or 1/3 strength and see how the plants react to it. Increase the strength a little each feeding.

Do you have anything to monitor your PH level? This is the most critical part of feeding your plants as the PH level determines if your plants are able to take up the nutrients. I would never feed a plant without knowing whats going on in your medium..

Another question is what kind of soil are you using? Many popular soils have time release nutrients which feed the plants for a number of months (usually identified on the package). These types of soils should be avoided as it makes it very difficult to control what nutrients your plants are getting and when they are getting them, especially when you start to feed them.

It sounds like your room is set up very well. Are the lights you're using CFL's, or tube florescents? is your 1,000W of power the actual power rating on the bulbs, or the equivalent? I can't see using 1,000W of power for fluorescent lighting, its definitely overkill for a closet setup. I'm vegging 6 plants right now with 4x40W tubes in a 4'x3' space and they are doing very well.

Post up some pics if you can, it will help give us some ideas on how to get the best out of your setup.

As far as the light distance goes, florescent lighting loses its intensity over distance very easily. You will need to have the bulbs a few inches from the tops of the plants in order to get the most out of your lighting.

BWC - Thanks for your time but your room is just a little more sophisticated than what I'm doing. Hell, I'm trying to figure how to keep my temperature & humidity consistent.

Thanks again

I think a small exhaust fan connected to 4" ducting as well as a small oscillating fan for circulation will take care of ur heat issues. Make sure Ur exhaust it placed at the top of the room, heat rises. At night its colder and the air holds more moisture. U can either run a heater at night or run ur lights at night to let the heat from the lights warm the room (while still exhausting stale air).

Back
Top Bottom