Group To Push For Medical Marijuana In Florida

Truth Seeker

A new effort to legalize marijuana is being forged in Tallahassee today.

Florida Cannabis Action Network, led by Bay area resident Cathy Jordan, is going to the Capitol today to call on lawmakers to pass a bill to legalize the plant for medical purposes.

Advocates of the push to legalize marijuana for medical purposes say it helps with the pain and nausea suffered by people with cancer and terminal illnesses.

Jordan, who has ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), and her husband, Robert, have been pushing for legalization for years.

Now, support seems to be growing to legalize use of the drug for medical purposes - which has already been done in 18 states and the District of Columbia.

The group is expected to ask GOP leaders to grant a fair hearing on possible new legislation. Jordan hopes her story convinces lawmakers to talk about a new bill.

"It always relaxes my muscles," Cathy Jordan said. "And the type of cannabis I use wakes up my brain."

Supporters of the proposed legislation say the move would not just benefit the sick. The state could get tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue from licensed pot farms.

However, opponents say smoking marijuana is against federal law and a new law in Florida could do more harm than good.

Massachusetts_MMJ.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: baynews9.com
Author: Erin Maloney
Contact: Contact Bay News 9 - Send Story Ideas & Breaking News Tips

Back
Top Bottom