Growing in a stream?

i think its possible as long as the roots arnt totaly under the water. they need oxygen to stay alive. im growing in a 5 gallon bucket with holes in the bottome of it on a semi dry patch in a swamp, so its preaty humid around the standing water. also no dear or biger animals can really get to the plants. o yea its out door in NY it dont rain to much but i just water it for the first time in about a month.

I think if you chose your spot well(always moving water, slow current, a rocky bottom and a good amount of sunlight every day) you could plant it right at the edge of the water. If it's a clay bottom, inconsistent water levels or too fast of a flow, I don't think it would work. If you can find that ideal location though I think you would be set.

Ok last one lol :goof:
As for needing air, it would get all of it's oxygen as well as it's nutes from the water as long as there is a constant flow.

not inside the stream. Just on the side. you want it to be out of the tides reach. The soil should just be moist not totally damp. that will drown the plant. Well anyway it may be alittle too late.

Really Smokey? I know that it would be to late in the year to start a plant outside, but I would think that if you had a rocky stream bed and there were no tides on the stream, that you could plant it right on the edge of the water having the flow of the water fresh I would think would keep it from any rot problems. I could be, and probably am, totaly wrong but it seemed to make sense that it would be worth a shot atleast.

maybe you can get a 5 gallon bucket, drill holes in the side, fill it with your medium, and place it in shallow water? would that work?

Yeah I know what you mean nodirt. It would be worth a shot. The roots like to dry out allittle but it will probably work. You would have to think of a way to give it nutrients with out the nutes just being carryed off with the stream. Well your idea is workable you just need the right conditions. The water should always be moving and be near rapids or alot of rocks to aggitate and oxygenate the water. It would be some what like a DWC bubbler hydroponic system. I would give it a try if I can find a desent place.

Nillam your idea can also work. I would rather go with a wick type idea. They sale special hydroponic wick matirial. I would drill holes and put the wick in the water and then run it into the bucket. Leaving plants in water is not always a good idea. Like I said you would need the right conditions.

My buds and I have wanted to grow since like 2003 but failed every time, we had one plant growing (started outside and moved indoors) which we started in September 2004 but it grew to about 2 feet, and then just stopped growing, but didn't die. We were doing this at a one of their houses, I think it had to due with terrible lighting (it was a flou but it was quite high from the plant). But now his parents don't want him to do it again so we are forced to wait till next April so we can secretly start them inside and move them outside. We just want all the facts now so we don't have to worry about them all winter till growing time. But thanks for all the advice guys, I'll try a few plants just out in the woods and a few right next to the stream and we'll go from there. Ahh so long and I can't wait.

Oh, and a little info on the stream. I want to plant them like 30 - 50 ft from the waterfall because the stream breaks up for like 30 ft into a D shape and then goes back into being just one. And not a single person goes down there anymore and I figured that the water must be good for growing because this year the whole entire pond was covered in lilly pads, worse then it has been any other year in recent memory. I don't have a digital camera but I'll try to borrow my fathers to take some pics to give you guys a good look at the area.

Yeah I have alittle advise with growing near waterfalls. They are great as they ionise and clean the air. The thing I have to stress so you don't loose your crop is go with a sativa. Or something leaning toward the sativa side. Look for a good mold riestant strain. I would just plant them near the stream were soil is moist. You dont really have to water at those places. Ive done it before. Check my grow thread. It is kind of old, but its in here some were.

This will not work guys. To do this type of hydroponics you need a nute solution over 500ppm. I would survive, might even flourish a little but it would die prematurely every time. I have done a lot of reading on this subject. The overwatering especially at night would drown them and cause rot and disease.

Not a good idea.
The roots of the MJ plant do not grow in unoxyginated water/mud.
Plus streams draws animals of both the 2 and 4-legged variety.
Pot should be grown near but not next to water.

Another problem you have with streams is the water level, which changes frequently. You might have them just the perfect distance next to the stream but then it rains and your next to the stream plants get washed away.

Back
Top Bottom