Growing medium?

spreadseeds

Hi I am wondering what is the best type of soil is best to grow my plants in? I am thinking of using a basic "promix"
type. I also have thought perhaps trying a product called "oil dry". It is for those not familiar with this product a form of kiln baked clay, it is used to absorb chemical spills,oil etc. It (oil dry) looks like cat litter, but does not contain any chemicals, does not break down and turn pasty. I do use it for other plants bonsai trees mostly, and can add organic material or other soil with it.
The advantage with oil dry is it is very cheap, around 5-6 $ for 50 pound bag, it retains water but drains off well, pH is neutral or( pretty close ) being clay.
Any ideas or suggestions ? Thanks ! :420:

Re: growing medium ?

I don't know the answer to your question spreadseeds, but I'd also be very interested to hear from anyone who does. You say that you've used this medium for other potted plants?

Although saving $ is great, for me, the biggest advantage would be not having to go buy 8 bags of perlite for just a couple hempy buckets. With that much, its only a matter of chance that someone doesn't notice a guy walking to the register with all that horticultural material, perlite being something people only need one bag or so, especially if its not springtime when most folks do that sort of thing. Chances are, if anyone noticed, they'd just chuckle and think 'that guy's growing pot', but security is security, no?

On the other hand in this non MMJ state no one would think twice about someone grabbing a few hundred pounds of oil dry, for their shop. :)

I have tried different stuff, and I find 50/50 coco perlite to work awesomely. I use botanicare coco bricks that you have to set in water to break apart. They are not expensive and grainy, which I like. You can water the shit out of them and they hold lots of air. I prefer adding the 50 percent perlite, small type as it is only $16 for a big bag, huge bag, like 4 foot long bag.

I recently am testing 50 coco, 25 perlite, 25 pumus, the grey stuff that looks like prelite.

Just treat the coco before you use it by making a tote of water, ph to 5.8, then add 100ppm calmag, and perhaps some humic acid.

Back
Top Bottom