Medium and Nutes

MaoZebong

I have a few questions re. growing hempy. I'd really appreciate some help on this.

One is the medium. I can't get perlite without ordering it from outside my country, and that's not really a viable option. What I can get is fired clay pellets (or maybe it's the same as hydroton clay pellets. Fired clay is a direct translation from my language), can I use this for an approximation of hempy?

Also, for this kind of growing, do I use hydro or soil nutes?

And the last question, the placement of the hole in the side of the pot, not the bottom, is that for the specific reason that there will always be a bit of liquid in the bottom of the bucket when it's done draining?

Thanks a lot for the attention. I appreciate any input.

Hmm, despite the number of people on this forum who uses this method, nobody knows this?

High MaoZebong!

Sorry about the delay in response. I have been thinking about your question and I believe you could use just the clay pellets, although to what matter of success is questionable.

Lets talk this out. The clay pellets would allow plenty of room for the roots to grow as well as allow plenty of air to reach them. How ever they would not hold water as well as perlite. The water would most likely fall straight to the bottom of the bucket. How ever with a fully developed root system the roots would wick the water to all parts of the bucket, much as the perlite does. Though a plant may have trouble growing the roots with out enough water being held near the roots.

So the long and the short is It would be possible I belive to grow with just clay pellets. How ever you would have to water in small amounts several times a day untill the plants had a mature roots structure.

As for soil, You can use wither soil or hydro nutes.

Yes the hole is used to manage water levels in the bucket. You want a small reservoir int he bottom of the bucket but you dont want too much water as that would cause your roots to rot. Hempy is a passive hydro system and relies on the small reservoir to keep your plants happy and healthy.

I hope this helps!

best of luck in your future endeavors

Hey, I was actually thinking about this. You know in the absence of perlite I but you could use rockwool. Either a bunch of small cubes or just kind of random fluffed rockwool would work too..

Thanks for the great advice Chrome.

I tried getting rockwool for seedlings, but that's also very hard to find where I live. (I haven't found any suppliers yet. The search continues.)

Just as I finished the veg part of my box, I got some weed with a ton of seeds in, and I figured I could do a practice run on these seeds. Having just read an article about recognizing the most viable seeds, I started checking all the seeds I picked out, and quite a few passed muster, so I just dumped them in a glass of water. Sure enough, a couple of them germinated, so in the absence of another option, I used some store bought dirt I found in the shed, until the plant develops enough roots to go into the clay pellets.

I thought about combining the pellets with vermaculite (sp?) to increase water retention. Would that ruin anything other than lowering the air penetration?

Back
Top Bottom