Growing & Mozart

Greetings, yes studies have shown that in controlled situations certain kinds of music and the amount of time played will effect the growth. I will post again in the morning to give full credit as it is late and I need to review notes. Several studies show that classical music as well as Tibetan chanting played for 4 hours a day show the best results. They will actually grow towards the music source. They are not big fans of rock, heavy metal or country as it tends to stunt growth as well they lean away from the source. The study stated that playing music for longer than ten hours can stunt growth as well. A similar study was conducted on humans working in a factory and found that the same type of music played for 4 hours a day created the best results. I am currently going to college to obtain a botony degree. I have a theory plants communicate constantly and I want to learn all I can.

Rangerider

I highly doubt the results of those studies. As was stated, this would be common practice were it true. But beyond that, by what mechanism would music have an effect?

First, I would agree with another reply that the music played may benefit the grower, which could benefit the plant. This I can handle.

Beyond that, the only benefit I could see, which would be minimal anyway, would be very low bass at the right tempo. This could induce some additional airflow. But this would be minimal, and almost useless at a distance more than a couple inches, and it would need to be LOUD.

A total stab in the dark, but I would also allow for the vibration to maybe aid in strengthening the stem, somehow, but again, the effect, if any, would be minimal.

Higher frequencies, the mids and upper human audible frequencies, would have even less effect.

I'd love to hear the theory on the mechanics behind music causing a plant to move toward or away from its source. Seems unlikely.

So if any music would be helpful, it would likely need repetetive, low frequency, sound. Rap, Hip Hop, Metal, techno, would probably be best.

The fact that classical is what is most commonly cited as being beneficial to growth (of humans and plants) appears to be a bias, to me. The idea that classical is more peaceful and calming appears to be the cited reason for this.

Remember, for decades people believed, and some still do, that classical music played for a fetus or baby, helps increase intelligence. This is simply not the case. The myth was spread from the misreading or misrepresentation of a single study, on college students, that showed increased performance on a test after listening to Mozart. This effect was temporary, and could easily be attributed to either decreased stress increasing performance, or possibly, a sort of placebo effect. Students believe music increases performance, so they perform better. The same could be happening with the plant studies, with the growers tending more to the plants "listening" to the music they think will do best. A double blind (deaf?) study may help in eliminating this possibility.

Regardless, there's currently no good data to state definitively that music aids in plant growth. And there's really no scientific reason to believe there would be an effect, on cannabis, or any other crop. And again, if it did, it would be a widely used technique, especially in commercial crops.

My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom