Growth on soil

Monty Floyd

this my first attempt at growing, seeds germinated and planted in potting soil, waiting for them to sprout... now there is a mold or fungi growing on top of the potting soil... bad soil? or is it of no concern?

First things first. remove the top layer of soil, ASAP. thats no good at all. I doubt the soil is bad I think it probably had more with the environment you have it in. With some more info I think we can nail this down so lets start with a few basic questions. Do you have the pots in any sort of dome or enclosure? Have you been watering the soil heavily? is the area you have the plants some place where mold might normally be found? IE do you have them in a basement, bath room, by a water heater or in a garage/work space?

OK, scraped off the top layer. Out of 8 plants, 2 were completely covered with whatever it is, 2 were spotty and 4 showed no evidence of it.
No dome or enclosure. Potting soil soaked before planting (about a week ago) and I just watered again after adding a little more soil, even though the soil was still moist on top.
This is Mexico and all buildings are cement or cement block with stucco. So, yeah, mold is a problem. I have the plants in a spare bedroom upstairs but the mold actually started when I had them downstairs in the kitchen prior to planting.
Do I need to use an enclosure/dome of some type?

If the humidity is too high, mold can be caused. If it is already very humid, that could be the cause IF it is in fact mold.

If the top layer of soil is still moist, the best thing to do is not water. If they have water, they will be fine.

The rule of thumb is normally if the first 1-2 inches of soil is dry, they can be watered.

Back
Top Bottom