Beginner's methods need critiquing!

(If this isn't the best place to post please let me know and I'll repost in the appropriate forum.)

I'm starting my first grow after doing my best to study up on these forums.

I started off germinating two healthy looking seeds using the method suggested here: How do I germinate seeds in soil?.

Both seeds soaked for ~15 hours in darkness, but when i checked them there were no signs of roots or sprouting of any kind yet. They were transplanted into red plastic cups (beer pong sized) filled lightly with new top soil and watered enough so that the soil is moist without any overflow (~6 oz of water each). Currently they're sitting out day 2 under four 23w 6500K CFLs. I covered the cups with plastic wrap to keep the humidity high. Temperature in the grow box is hovering around 80°F (gotta love the stability of weather here in orange county) +/- 5°F when I open the grow box door, closet door, and slider leading outside to completely flush the room with fresh air.

What can I do at this point or expect in the near future that will make this a better experience and lead to a great plant?

Does the use of regular top soil without any sand or perlite matter at this point? I plan on picking up quality potting soil when the seedlings are ready to transfer to a bigger pot.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

welcome to 420!
they didnt crack because they were not wet long enough to do their job. Will they crack?no doubt but it will take longer.
soil choice isnt an issue. these are weeds remember. as long as you have some kind of decent soil..they will germinate. once they germinate and get some leaf mass...transplant to your final pot. I use Foxfarm and BioBizz, there are others.

Ah, good to know about the germination period. I'll have to soak them longer next time around.

How wet should I keep the soil now that the seeds are in there? It's still moderately damp from the initial saturation. Will that suffice or is extra water necessary to get these guys to pop?

Viper is correct, you didn't germ them long enough. Germ them until the crack. Might take a day might take several days. 6oz of water in a cup that size is too much. I hope you have drain holes. Are you using just plain top soil from your yard? When you transplant if you can't get some good soil (Fox Farms, etc) add about 30%-50% pearlite to your soil so it will drain. Plain dirt will compact over time which will prevent drainage and lead to root rot. You will also needs nutes sooner with plain soil.

I definitely cut drain holes into the cups before watering and made sure anything that was being soaked up was drained out.

I started three more seeds germing via paper towel method. After 24 hours I can see one of them has already cracked slightly.

The top soil was from a fresh bag I found in the garage. It's brand name escapes me at the moment. I went to OSH today to pick up quality potting soil and perlite for when I transplant my plants to something bigger.

The soil has some fertilizer in it already (0.19-0.20-0.06) and I picked up some liquid nutes also (8-7-6). Will these be mild enough to use together when the time comes?

you know i remember when i was just a kid and that was a long time ago dam did i say that, in school we always every year had like a garden and we learned how to germ seeds at a very young age i was like 6 or 7 yrs old, any ways back then we would do the paper towel method you know walk over to the sink crank the handle on the paper towel machine rip off about a foot of the old brown paper towels put the seeds in a folded up piece then put the paper towel in a half pint milk carton that we would cut in half and put a little water in, anyway
i like the paper towel method for germing the beans
rnwy29erclr

Ah, good to know about the germination period. I'll have to soak them longer next time around.

How wet should I keep the soil now that the seeds are in there? It's still moderately damp from the initial saturation. Will that suffice or is extra water necessary to get these guys to pop?

Hey rob, I found the best way to crack beans is to take a paper towel and fold it two times and place it on a plate. Fill the plate with water and let it all run into the sink. Fold the paper towel back open and place the beans on the paper towel and flip it back to cover them. Take the plate and shove it in a drawer. They can take from a couple of days to a week or so but you can check them everyday and just make sure that paper towel stays moist and doesn't dry out. Once they sprout take some tweezers and place the bean as is, with the root facing down half to and 1' into your soil..Saves from waiting and guessing and you get a good germination rate.:thumb:

Keep the soil damp but not saturated until you have some good growth.

I have cracked beans in every way possible that I can. you cant beat throwing seeds in a glass of water.....or the paper towel method...or nice wet rooter plugs.....and the list goes on and on

Back
Top Bottom