Harvesting for plant reuse?

shuffledemon

Hi all.

I'm about to harvest my very first grow. I have a hand full of plants. I want to try and re-veg one or two. I guess I am the type to want to try all sorts of things with this hobby and the continued use of a single plant really interests me. That said - do I have to follow any guidelines during harvest? Obviously I won't be cutting whole stems as we want to keep the plant in tact, but given this fact do I have to be extra careful in any specific areas?

I appreciate your time in thinking about this and replying! I'm putting together an overview of my first ghetto grow (which I think is interesting since I am (was?) a total newb - so I wasn't making ANY assumptions) that I will be happy to share here when complete.

Sorry your link didn't work. I have read a fair bit about the process of harvesting, drying, and curing - and I get that - although more information is _always_ a good thing. I'm really interested in "Harvesting with the intent of plant reuse for Dummies" - know what I mean? Sorry if that was captured in the link provided - it doesn't work for me.

If you want to try a reveg, leave as many lowest buds as you can manage. New veg growth sprouts from the buds themselves, and since the stems get all hard and woody, you want the new growth to sprout from the plant as low as possible. A half dozen sites should be enough to regrow from. You'll see absolutely nothing happening for a week or two, and it'll be almost 2 months before it starts to look like a normal vegging plant again. I just harvested a reveg that took 111 days to get back into flower, but it yielded 50% higher the second time. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thumb:

Hi shuffledemon.

Welcome to 420 Magazine! :welcome:

There is a search feature located under the "Forums" tab at the top left that will return every use of the word or phrase provided to search for. The link was to a search performed the member "theengineer". Unfortunately, search results can't be relayed in the form of a link. You might find benefit in search of your own.

I am just beginning to re-veg a couple plants for the first time, so I am not an expert by any means. I have read pretty extensively on the topic and it seems the trick is to leave enough foliage (including buds) so the plant can properly utilize photosynthesis to produce the energy needed to return to a vegetative state. I simply cut as much of the buds/branches as I thought I dared and put the plants back under 18 hours of light. Didn't really have to sacrifice too much in the way of viable or desirable buds but there are a few very small popcorn buds left on the plants. I did increase the distance between my plants and light more because I just didn't want the lights to stress the plants so quickly after "surgery". :laughtwo:

One caution I have read about is not to do this when the soil is particularly damp and in a related note, that overwatering will be very easy. The plant will now have the root structure to support more foliage than it has but without the leaves will be unable to transpire the water as rapidly and could drown.

Be well, happy growing and enjoy the search feature I mentioned. It has proven an invaluable tool as I attempt to learn!

Again, welcome to :420:

Hi shuffledemon.

Welcome to 420 Magazine! :welcome:

There is a search feature located under the "Forums" tab at the top left that will return every use of the word or phrase provided to search for. The link was to a search performed the member "theengineer". Unfortunately, search results can't be relayed in the form of a link. You might find benefit in search of your own.

I am just beginning to re-veg a couple plants for the first time, so I am not an expert by any means. I have read pretty extensively on the topic and it seems the trick is to leave enough foliage (including buds) so the plant can properly utilize photosynthesis to produce the energy needed to return to a vegetative state. I simply cut as much of the buds/branches as I thought I dared and put the plants back under 18 hours of light. Didn't really have to sacrifice too much in the way of viable or desirable buds but there are a few very small popcorn buds left on the plants. I did increase the distance between my plants and light more because I just didn't want the lights to stress the plants so quickly after "surgery". :laughtwo:

One caution I have read about is not to do this when the soil is particularly damp and in a related note, that overwatering will be very easy. The plant will now have the root structure to support more foliage than it has but without the leaves will be unable to transpire the water as rapidly and could drown.

Be well, happy growing and enjoy the search feature I mentioned. It has proven an invaluable tool as I attempt to learn!

Again, welcome to :420:

Thanks for the reply TanR! Lots of great info. About the only question I have, then, is if you are continuously targeting the bottom of the plant to regrow do you cut down the main stock(s) as well to approximately the area where you left the growth on?

Yes, you could cut the main stalk if that is the style in which you grew it. I topped my plants early and grew them in a scrog so I didn't really have a main stem.

Aack!!
Im now overwatered...
Transplant and let the new material draw out the overwatered medium?
What do you guys think?
No hijack meant shuffledemon (welcome to 420! :) )

Aack!!
Im now overwatered...
Transplant and let the new material draw out the overwatered medium?
What do you guys think?
No hijack meant shuffledemon (welcome to 420! :) )

transplanting while your soil is really wet will probably fuck up your roots..overwatering is not that big of a deal, i simply wouldn't give water untill the soil dries up again.:grinjoint:

Reveg is quite simple I have a current revegged plant that I harvested not to long ago. As said above leave some small popcorn sites down low and make your stem cuts just above a node site. My revegged plant developed new growth in 1 week!!!!! I harveste it twice once at Christmas and once on New Years. The plant is currently mid flower again(already) with 200+ tops. Remember to feed the plant or soil as well with a low dose of veg nutes allowing for my nitrogen intake. I would also put it under 24/0 light with as much wattage as possible. If I could post pics I could show u my plant before harvest, post harvest, in reveg mode and current flowering. If I can post pics later I will come back and post those as they are quite interesting to see the process. Also strange leaves will grow out first so do t worry if the first leaves Coming up look strange and deformed. Feel free to hit me
Up about reveg questions I love the reveg process and its ability to increase yield and even potency at times.

Some pics of a reveg. Original plant through harvest then pics through reveg. Last picture is of revegged plant currently in flower. It may not look it but there are 190+ tops on this plant that is 3.5 ft tall. Some pics show the early reveg with "funky" leaves.

image8768.jpg

image8782.jpg
image8777.jpg

Subscribed. I'm going to try and reveg 2 of my plants after harvest. I first saw this in Graytail's journal & I see that he is helping out here, so if you don't mind, I'll pull up a chair and watch! + Reps.

I never circled back and thanked you all for participating in this thread. Ultimately I wasn't able to reuse those plants but I've got a grow on the go that I will either clone from, reveg, or both. I've only started this 'seed to weed' journal so it will take a while but if you are interested I'd love to have any of you along for the ride. I'm new to some of this so I am sure I will learn a lot as well!

Shuffledemon's Organic Soil Multistrain Indoor LED Grow Journal — 2014

Thanks again!

I have a sativa dominant plant i started tricking (12 & 12) her August 10th outside, and it obviously wasn't close to ready, so I brought her indoors under three 1200 Watt LED lights. Minus the time it took to begin flowering, it's been 12 weeks, most plants would be overdone if they were indica strain. This plant looks like it could flower for another month...is it OK to just cut all the buds off the plant, leave a few immature bud branches near the base of the stalk with tiny buds still growing, then turn the lights on 24 hour a day? Can I just nip the buds off? As opposed to hanging the whole plant process...do you lose potency this way with the buds?

Back
Top Bottom