Has anyone seen these?

jwtruth35

I'm building a cabinet and looking for the quietest fan possible. Today I saw this.

TD-Silent Series Multi-Purpose Inline Mixed Flow Duct Fan 6" (239 - 333 CFM) :: Industrial Fans Direct

I'm only using 1 exhaust fan and passive intake with an 600w air cooled hood. The cabinet is only about70cf and in the basement which is always cool/cold. I was hoping to add the speed controller offered on the same page so I could quiet it some more and to be honest, if I don't turn it down I wonder if it would cool the air too much for the girls liking.

Also, are these pretty easy to wire without a lot of electrical knowledge for someone with reasonable intelligence? I would think if I need to wire it there should be at least some kind of diagram?

Wiring is easy. Just get one of those orange extension cords and cut the tail off of it. Then match the colors. Buy and use the yellow wire nuts and then tape with electric tape, do not use duct tape or masking tape.

You won't need a fan that large on all the time in that space. Get a mechanical timer and set it to turn on once an hour as long as your lights are on. You can adjust it from there to how often you will need it.

I use 2 power strips in my room. One is on the light timer and controls my mechanical timer for my exhaust fan and the light, the other is plugged directly in the wall for my oscillating fan and night time heater that I switch on and off manually. I like power strips cause you can use the switch to turn on/off stuff instead of always unplugging them and plugging it back in. The better ones also have a built in breaker.

I'm definitely wanting to avoid the place reeking and I thought (but wasn't sure) that the fan stayed on 24/7 and was going to have a passive intake. If I have the fan coming off and on won't the smell leak out the passive intake? i thought before of having a carbon filter of some kind on the intake so any air that came out when exhaust was turned off would be scrubbed.

I've heard a scrubber on intake is unnecessary but I am more interested in extreme stealth, so if I had a big fan like this it should be able to handle it.

Thanks for the input.

Sorry if this makes no sense but I'm trying to get everything together for my very first grow and want the problems to be non-existent in the set up since I'll be making my share of noob mistakes once I get started and don't want the cabinet screwed up planning/design wise.

Wiring is easy. Just get one of those orange extension cords and cut the tail off of it. Then match the colors. Buy and use the yellow wire nuts and then tape with electric tape, do not use duct tape or masking tape.

You won't need a fan that large on all the time in that space. Get a mechanical timer and set it to turn on once an hour as long as your lights are on. You can adjust it from there to how often you will need it.

I use 2 power strips in my room. One is on the light timer and controls my mechanical timer for my exhaust fan and the light, the other is plugged directly in the wall for my oscillating fan and night time heater that I switch on and off manually. I like power strips cause you can use the switch to turn on/off stuff instead of always unplugging them and plugging it back in. The better ones also have a built in breaker.

When your girls are fat and sticky they will reek like hell if the fan is off... I have to keep the fan on 24/7 during flower. I tried having the fan go off when the lights were off, but within a couple of hours the whole house stank!

You'll want to size the passive intake so that when the fan is on you have a slight negative pressure in your cabinet, that way no smell will escape. If your basement is on the damp and musty side you might want a HEPA filter on you intake so you're not sucking mold spores into your cabinet...but if it is damp and musty you'll also need a dehumidifier in your cabinet.

Also, depending on what cool/cold is to you, you might need a heater at night... You don't want your temps to drop much more than 10 degrees during the dark period.

I'm curious why you're so worried about the fan noise in the basement? I use a Vortex VTX600, it moves 452 cfm, and I don't think it's that loud. I have to be in the same room to hear it.

:Namaste:

When your girls are fat and sticky they will reek like hell if the fan is off... I have to keep the fan on 24/7 during flower. I tried having the fan go off when the lights were off, but within a couple of hours the whole house stank!

You'll want to size the passive intake so that when the fan is on you have a slight negative pressure in your cabinet, that way no smell will escape. If your basement is on the damp and musty side you might want a HEPA filter on you intake so you're not sucking mold spores into your cabinet...but if it is damp and musty you'll also need a dehumidifier in your cabinet.

Also, depending on what cool/cold is to you, you might need a heater at night... You don't want your temps to drop much more than 10 degrees during the dark period.

I'm curious why you're so worried about the fan noise in the basement? I use a Vortex VTX600, it moves 452 cfm, and I don't think it's that loud. I have to be in the same room to hear it.

It's not bad with moisture or any of that since it's a finished basement, but it's always very cool down here.

As far as the noise goes I've got a very curious 7 year old. I'm building the cab in my new office which will have real walls and a locking door. The cabinet will also have a lock, but I want things as quiet as possible since I will have to deal with the occasional short visit since he always wants to see Daddy. The official rules are that he's not allowed in there at all (even while I'm in there) because Dad gets very cranky when bothered while working. I do wedding photography and all the editing drives me fucking crazy, so before I started thinking of doing this I already was going to have the new office as sort of my man cave. I was just going to have set times when I will be in there (hopefully most of it while he's sleeping) so he still gets to spend enough time with me but this was a done deal as far as off limits way before I thought about doing a grow.

Is it crazy to put a carbon filter on the intake in case of a fan problem? I can live with unnecessary since I'm very paranoid but I don't want to do it at the expense of depriving the plants of needed fresh air or trashing the fan. That's why I was thinking of going with much more fan than I needed and dialing it down as desired. I also am going to be pulling the air a little ways since I want a very small area on the bottom of the cab for clones. It seems like the clones will get too big down there for the time I have to wait to put in the main chamber, but I figure I could take new cuttings when I'm ready. I'm not really worried about losing a few weeks to re-cut new clones as I am about constantly ordering packets of seeds to my house.

Here's a picture of the box. Air comes in one side on the bottom and is run through a middle chamber with ducting to prevent light leaks, then pulled through the air cooled 600 hps, carbon filter, then outside.
Office1.jpg

I don't think I saw a dB rating on that link, but I wouldn't believe silent unless I heard it.

I guess if you're paranoid about it, and you don't mind spending the money for another carbon filter then it's not crazy. I personally wouldn't do it...not to mention if the fan fails you've got bigger problems because your plants will cook.

And more is almost always better when it comes to air flow.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom