Help identifying a hermaphrodite at a early stage, vegetation

Jame9111

Some abnormal growth confused if it's hermaphrodite.

16731285449623628310968041695874.jpg

167312869019781155596995268813.jpg

"Hermaphrodite" and "mutation" are highly overrated and misunderstood, but that is how I look at the use of those words.

In order for it to be a hermaphrodite the plant has to be in flower and the grower would have to be able to see the growth of of pistils which are not showing. Female plants will sometimes show a preflower which is a single pistil/stigma at the nodes, but not the start of buds, while still in a vegetating stage. I have not seen a 'male preflower' on a plant that proved to be a true male later on once a 12-12 light schedule started. Nor have I seen anyone post pictures of what could be called male preflowers.

What I do see is an area of light colored, almost white, leaf and stem growth when those areas should be green. Maybe it is something caused by the lighting when the photo was taken. At the moment it does not look like a camera or lighting issue but does look like something that should be watched. The copy of your photo is below and I have arrows pointing to the areas concern. The first arrow points to a white stem and new growth. The second arrow points the the veins of another leaf on the same stem with the same coloring starting to show.

These areas are probably nothing. I have had similar on a few of my plants at a time or two and they grew out of it. Just something to keep an eye on. Otherwise, the plant appears healthy.

concerns.jpg

I have not seen a 'male preflower' on a plant that proved to be a true male later on once a 12-12 light schedule started. Nor have I seen anyone post pictures of what could be called male preflowers.

I’m confused by what this means, could you elaborate a bit? I’ve definitely seen pollen sacs that turn into full blown males once flowered. I’ve also seen true hermaphrodites that have both male and female parts, but there’s not really a way it identify the true herm until flower happens. I think I get what you’re saying but I don’t want to assume.

I agree with the rest of your comment in full, especially with regard to mutations and herming.

Youre good @Jame9111 to go brother!
Just make sure her roots are mature and established in their final containers/pot before the flip to 12/12.
I like a minimum of 3 weeks in finals. Also, make sure your flowering "on-time" is the same as your Veg "on-time"..Super important!
That puts them on cruise control!
Cheers

Youre good @Jame9111 to go brother!
Just make sure her roots are mature and established in their final containers/pot before the flip to 12/12.
I like a minimum of 3 weeks in finals. Also, make sure your flowering "on-time" is the same as your Veg..Super important!
That put them on cruise control!
Cheers

This.. even if you think it’s a male I’d still send it in to flower just to be sure. Unless you’ve been doing this for a long time and your experience has told you it’s a male it’s best just to see what happens. When master gardeners decide, they look at more than just pre flowers. They look at the way it’s grown, node spacing, attitude, etc. and they measure this up against what they’ve seen in the past. Unless you’ve got that experience it’s wise just to see.

I’m confused by what this means, could you elaborate a bit? I’ve definitely seen pollen sacs that turn into full blown males once flowered. I’ve also seen true hermaphrodites that have both male and female parts, but there’s not really a way it identify the true herm until flower happens. I think I get what you’re saying but I don’t want to assume.
We cannot have a plant that could be called a "hermaphrodite" until it goes into flower mode and has both the fully developing female buds and the groupings of male flowers with 'balls' that will open into the 'bananas'. The plant has to be in the flowering stage and not in the vegetating stage for this to happen.

My experience has been that some female plants, but not all, will show "preflowers" but no one has shown photos of "male preflowers". This creates a situation where someone growing from seed will see pistil/stigma preflowers on his sexually mature female plants even though the 12/12 light schedule has not started. Female plants have just the one pistil/stigma and will continue to produce just one at each node while in preflower.

It seems to be a case of all or nothing when it comes to male plants. From what I have seen a male plant will show a single ball, maybe two, at the start of flowering but within days every node has an increasing number of clumps of "balls". There is none of the "preflower" consisting of just one ball per node for the rest of the time before flowering. All or nothing with males.

What Canachris mentions.....
I've grown a lot of hermies and they all start as female. I've never seen a plant start as male then grow female flowers.

The photo below is of a male plant I grew out long enough to get a picture of the male flowers in full bloom; probably just a couple of days before it could start producing pollen. There were no preflowers to tell me that it was male. One day it is of unknown sex and the next week it was a horny teen-age male.

full

Ahh okay yes, correct. Lol. I misunderstood what you were saying because you’re using the terms correctly and I’m not used to that 😂. Over multiple blogs and sites they consistently say male “preflower” when referring to pollen sacs so that’s where my mind was.

In seriousness though agreed, I’ve also only ever seen males be males, and herms come from females. It’s evolution, it’s just more successful than not herming unfortunately for our purposes, but great for the plant.

"Hermaphrodite" and "mutation" are highly overrated and misunderstood, but that is how I look at the use of those words.

In order for it to be a hermaphrodite the plant has to be in flower and the grower would have to be able to see the growth of of pistils which are not showing. Female plants will sometimes show a preflower which is a single pistil/stigma at the nodes, but not the start of buds, while still in a vegetating stage. I have not seen a 'male preflower' on a plant that proved to be a true male later on once a 12-12 light schedule started. Nor have I seen anyone post pictures of what could be called male preflowers.

What I do see is an area of light colored, almost white, leaf and stem growth when those areas should be green. Maybe it is something caused by the lighting when the photo was taken. At the moment it does not look like a camera or lighting issue but does look like something that should be watched. The copy of your photo is below and I have arrows pointing to the areas concern. The first arrow points to a white stem and new growth. The second arrow points the the veins of another leaf on the same stem with the same coloring starting to show.

These areas are probably nothing. I have had similar on a few of my plants at a time or two and they grew out of it. Just something to keep an eye on. Otherwise, the plant appears healthy.

concerns.jpg

concerns.jpg
I've just never seen plants to do this before and I read all the messages everyone sent I understand what you guys are saying you usually don't see male pre-flower when in veg I just thought this was weird and never seen it before so I thought I'd bring it up still looks weird to me though I'm going to let it grow out and see how it turns out obviously

IMG_20230108_110843124.jpg

Back
Top Bottom