Help me decide if this system is worth it!

vaporstar

I've wanted to grow hydro for years but the systems are always so freakin' pricey! After looking at all the juicy pics of fat hydro grows I am totally going to dump the soil and go all hydro. I've been saving my pennies and I found a cool looking system but before I do it I want to get some advice from the pros.

Here's the system: All Year Gardens Product Page

Full_System_lores.jpg

Whatcha think?
:reading420magazine:

that looks good if you're growing outside or someplace with 10'++ ceilings, it's at least 2 maybe 2 1/2 feet tall, I would DIY something closer to the ground/floor

to me, the price seems fair for the amount of labor needed and materials provided to build it

if you have the height, I'd say go for it

Reminds me of the old PVC kit that I saw here and there years ago and then more when someone put it in High Times, only this one uses NFT instead of Ebb & Flow, you don't need to drink 24 2-liters' worth of soda for this one...

And the old kit cost a few bucks and a cheap pump instead of $299.

If you're a hydro novice, go with E&F - or better yet, a home-built DWC - instead of NFT.

Be much more likely that you'll end up learning more about the concepts... Whilst still having a viable harvest.

Cheaper too.

Two problems that may arise are plants falling over because of lack of support, and root blockage at the drain back.

I agree with Torchered Soul.

If you are new to hydro I would definately go with a DWC system instead of aero system.

If you ever have a power outage you will wish you did.

I am using a simple dwc bucket system and am having great results!

Looks like each tube is made of two sections. Stay away!

Ebb/flow or ebb/grow.
DWC.
or even hempy would be better for a first grow.

What mk1903a3 said. Do not buy something like that.. It can easily be made. Check out stinkbuddies.com they have all the plans listed there for free and all the members will be more than willing to help you out.

I built a system similar to this one, but with fence posts, and smaller. I agree that you could make this a whole lot shorter. My fence posts sit directly on top of the reservoir, and I have tubing running to small spray heads between each plant location. Works like a charm. However, other writers on this thread are probably right to recommend other systems that are a little more fool-proof. This is my first experience with hydro, and I built my system because I liked the way it looked and fit well into my limited space. You will likely need some support for the plants. My system us in a small closet with walls on three sides, so I simply run a grid of string for support. If you're growing from clones, and using a short-statured strain, like many Indicas, height may not be a problem, particularly if you start them flowering when they're 12" or less. If you want to grow Sativas, you're probably going to need more head room than that system will give you, unless, as has been mentioned, you've got 10' ceilings. I do get roots growing down through the return pipes, but so far they haven't gotten thick enough to clog things up. As a matter of fact, the roots have grown down into the reservoir, and it's a little bit of insurance against a power failure. The other part of the insurance is the portable generator I keep handy.

Peace,
Ruckatruck

Back
Top Bottom