Help me identify what's wrong!

racer123

So this is my first grow ever, with hydroponics. Growing under a 600- Watt HID light.
Temperatures have been between 67-80 and humidity between 20-40%. That's with a humidifier, I guess that the problem living at 8000 feet haha so try out here.

Anyways, here are a couple of pictures of the plants with problems.

SANY00523.JPG
SANY00532.JPG
SANY00544.JPG

It's growing into a crazy mess, is this something that could be strain related? I am growing 2 other random bagseeds and they are growing just normal wide and bushy. This one who is also a random bagseed just doesn't want to grow correctly.

Hi, the leaves in the plant tend to grow that way when you have water problems (too much, probably), and I've seen it happen also when the lights are too close, this way the plant gets much hotter than what your equipment reads. For what I can tell based on limited experience (my grow has a near perfect history, I haven't had any problems of any kind) it might be a combination of the both, too much water + high temps. Try uncovering the soil. You mentioned you are experimenting with hydroponics, it might help to know what setup you have going, i.e. what medium, water schedule, nutes used. Also what kind of HID lamp are you using.
This is part of a sticky that explains how to ask for help, it's just a list of questions that will help you provide the information needed for support.

What Strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants?
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor?
Soil or Hydro?
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
If Soil... What Size Pot?
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
Is it Air Cooled?
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
RH of Room/Cabinet?
PH of Medium or Reservoir?
Any Pests?
How Often are you Watering?
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Size or Square Footage of Room?

The fact that you're growing at 8000ft might also be a factor, but I don't know.

Good luck and happy growing!

You have to fix that humidity, you should definitely be foliar feeding often to help counteract it.

A larger humidifier, hanging wet towels/shirts, putting a bucket of water in the room, whatever you can to get it to a consistent 50%

We also need to know what Rodrigo posted, pH, PPM etc.

Alright, let me try to answer as many questions as possible!

What Strain is it? Unknown Bagseed
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? N/A
How Many Plants? 3
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Vegetative
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 27 Days
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro
If Hydro, Reservoir size? 10 G
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? 65F
If Hydro, what type of Medium? Hydroton Rocks
If Hydro, what type of Setup? DWC Drip
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
If Soil... What Size Pot?
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 600 Watt HID
Is it Air Cooled? Yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 65F Night Time. 78F Day Time.
RH of Room/Cabinet? Usually between 20% and 40%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.0 Consistently, never really have to touch it.
PPM? 440 At the moment, slowly introducing more and more nutes.
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Drip System
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? I am using General Hydroponics Nutrients
Size or Square Footage of Room? Growing in a 4'x4'x72" Growing tent with a air cooled hood and carbon scrubber.

I just put a bucket of water in the tent and laid some wet towels out on top of the reservoir. Hopefully that will make a difference.

I'm not so sure humidity is your problem here but that maybe something that needs to be addressed anyway. The way the leaves are curling up on the edges but the way the whole leaf is drooping down makes me think you have a couple problems. It looks like the lights might be too close and the plants are getting burned. I know its a hydro setup but its almost like its over watered. Are you sure your water is oxygenated well? 10 gallon rez, what size air pump you got?

I'm not so sure humidity is your problem here but that maybe something that needs to be addressed anyway. The way the leaves are curling up on the edges but the way the whole leaf is drooping down makes me think you have a couple problems. It looks like the lights might be too close and the plants are getting burned. I know its a hydro setup but its almost like its over watered. Are you sure your water is oxygenated well? 10 gallon rez, what size air pump you got?
I have moved the lights pretty high up, temperatures have not been getting higher than 75F at the moment. I turned the water hose off until I see some improvement or the rockwool dries out in which case I will know it's not an over watering issue. Also I have 2 air stones in the reservoir (it's a 10G res but only filled to the 6G mark). The pump can output 7.8L/min.

Do you have fans blowing on them?

Do you have fans blowing on them?
I have one fan blowing on them from the right pretty good. And the humidifier from the left. Then there carbon scrubber is sucking all the hot air out from the top. Would it be better to have an oscillating fan?

Well if you have the humidifier pointed directly that might be your issue, the plant is going to experience way more RH than what your meter reads, try putting the probe right next, or attached to, the plant in question, you might be able to tell if the RH is right or not.

Well if you have the humidifier pointed directly that might be your issue, the plant is going to experience way more RH than what your meter reads, try putting the probe right next, or attached to, the plant in question, you might be able to tell if the RH is right or not.
I had the reader actually right next to the plant so it was pretty accurate. I have now moved the humidifier a little so hopefully this problem will go away soon. I just don't understand why one plant is hurting and I have done absolutely nothing different then with the other plants. Here is a picture of my healthy one.

SANY00515.JPG

It's actually not as droopy as this picture is showing, this was right after I watered and before I turned off the light so it doesn't get burned.

Is the fan blowing directly on it at all times? Because if so, it'll dry out the plant rather bad. You mentioned that you had just watered them but you mentioned that its a DWC drip feed. I'm unclear about this. I mean, doesn't the plant constantly get oxygenated water delivered to them. So...how is it that you just watered them?... However, it must be a nutrition issue if it isn't related to the fan and humidifier blowing on it. This is a very hard nut to crack.

Is the fan blowing directly on it at all times? Because if so, it'll dry out the plant rather bad. You mentioned that you had just watered them but you mentioned that its a DWC drip feed. I'm unclear about this. I mean, doesn't the plant constantly get oxygenated water delivered to them. So...how is it that you just watered them?... However, it must be a nutrition issue if it isn't related to the fan and humidifier blowing on it. This is a very hard nut to crack.
Sorry let me be a little more specific. Yes, it's kind of pointed upwards at the light so it doesn't get the full air right at tit. When I said watered, I meant misted them with a sprayer to increase humidity. I do this about once or twice a day with pH'd water to raise the humidity.

@JJ Bones - Yes, it is only that one plant that is giving me issues. All the other plants are looking healthy and are growing daily. This one has been stunted for roughly 3-4 days now and I can't figure out why. pH and ppm are all right where they should be.

Ah man that's not what I wanted to hear. I guess I will just leave the plant alone and if it recovered it'll recover. If it doesn't, i'll just throw it in like a week or so.

I would seriously consider moving it away from any wind (himidifier or fan) and see what happens. I researched this issue for the last hour or so and haven't found anything definitive. It was a toss up between mag def or wind burn. I really don't think this is mag def. That's a pretty easy problem to identify. This must be the leaf drying out due to evaporative cooling or there is some sort of disease. That would suck and it could catch on to your other plants if that's the case. It may be in the best interest of the tribe to cut that pony from the heard.

had same problem with 1 of mine ,been looking on here to find same problem and i think mine had something to do with heat stress ,i moved light up and is doing better now was thinking bout choping it couple weeks ago lucky i didnt because now theres alot more growth on her

I agree with the comment on the wind. I had a badly positioned fan and it did the same thing to my plant. If your humidity was higher - you could get away with this.

And if you look closely - you will see that the other plants look very similar - just not as advanced.

Unless you have an oscillating fan - point it up at the ceiling or floor so that it forces circulation inside of the tent. If you do some testing - you should be able to find a position where it will gently stir the leaves without having to have wind blowing on it directly from the fan.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom