Help me identify leaf problem?

bow chikka

Hey ya'll this is my first grow and im experiencing my first sign of a potential problem.

Please see the photo below:

420-magazine-mobile2135556846.jpg

I just starting seeing this on the upper leaves of one of my 6 plants. Its not on the top-most leaves but rather on the mature leaves below the top most growth. This is on my Ghost of Leroy indica dominant strain. All of my plants are different strains and it is only being seen on this ghost of Leroy.

A little about my grow thus far:

-5x5 tent in a spare bedroom
-room is mainly sealed with tape
-co2 and temperature controlled by a computerized automation system
- temps held between 77 and 80 degrees during day time and 60-68 at nighttime
-co2 held at 1200ppm
-carbon filter in tent running 24/7
-intake fan attached to outside window (also attached to carbon filter) to cool room with cool winter air
-plants are in 5 gallon pots, with soiless medium
-feeding with Vegamatrix veganics
-watering/feeding about every 3-4days

I tried doing some research online but was coming up with too many possible causes, so figured I'd turn to you all for a little more personal guidance. Please let me know what your thoughts on what could be causing this. I'm open to all suggestions and any help is much appreciated.

Wow appreciate the quick response.

I was going off my nurtrient companies feeding chart:

40ml for 5 gallons divided amongst 6 plants. So each plant was getting roughly 7ml

I just bumped it up to 75ml for 5 gallons with this weeks first feeding. The companies recommends 50-100ml for this weeks feeding so maybe I can lean on the higher side (100ml) when I feed next?

Wow appreciate the quick response.

I was going off my nurtrient companies feeding chart:

40ml for 5 gallons divided amongst 6 plants. So each plant was getting roughly 7ml

I just bumped it up to 75ml for 5 gallons with this weeks first feeding. The companies recommends 50-100ml for this weeks feeding so maybe I can lean on the higher side (100ml) when I feed next?
Does it include Calmag in the nutes???

What is your water pH???

Sorry let me clarify further,

The 40ml I fed last week and 75ml I fed this morning were directly of the cal/mag nutrient solution from VegaMatrix.

I actually haven't checked the ph of my water (I'm using reverse osmosis water) as I assumed with veganics and soiless growing ph was not a major concern (within reason) but I will definately get a tester asap.

Just curious, what is the proper way to test? Do you test the nutrient water before feeding ? Or do you do a flush of the soil with just water and then test the ph of the run off water ? I suppose both couldn't hurt but let me know what will be most useful for analysis

Sorry let me clarify further,

The 40ml I fed last week and 75ml I fed this morning were directly of the cal/mag nutrient solution from VegaMatrix.

I actually haven't checked the ph of my water (I'm using reverse osmosis water) as I assumed with veganics and soiless growing ph was not a major concern (within reason) but I will definately get a tester asap.

Just curious, what is the proper way to test? Do you test the nutrient water before feeding ? Or do you do a flush of the soil with just water and then test the ph of the run off water ? I suppose both couldn't hurt but let me know what will be most useful for analysis

PH in soiless grows is very important

my RO water I buy is around 6.2-6.4 which is a bit high for my Hempy/Soiless grow media. Try and get it down to 5.6-5.8 or so

Get a cheap test pen of Amazon. I test my plain water, and after nutes added, checking runoff is also a good idea

I have been adding 2x what a normal Calmag recomended to my Hempy girls, seems to Help. I do 2teaspoons/gal seems to be working well

Thanks Chris!

I'll put an order in for one of those pens.

I think I'll try feeding the Ghost of Leroy separate from the rest with a higher cal/mag dose.

Can I expect the rusting of these leaves to reverse and go back to green? Or is the damage already done and now it's just about preventing the rusting from spreading to other leaves ?

Thanks Chris!

I'll put an order in for one of those pens.

I think I'll try feeding the Ghost of Leroy separate from the rest with a higher cal/mag dose.

Can I expect the rusting of these leaves to reverse and go back to green? Or is the damage already done and now it's just about preventing the rusting from spreading to other leaves ?

The damage is done, just watch the next few days and see if it continues on other leaves or stops

So I was talking to my close friend who I confide in often wth my grow as he is a well experience grower as well as he works in the commercial grow industry...

He mentioned the idea to do a flush. He was talking about how with veganics you can have salts build up around the roots that can block the uptake of nutrients no matter how abundant they are in the soil medium. Any thoughts on this ?

I have a tds meter and can test the ppms of my soil run off..

Kind of have an idea. I was basically gonna water them till water is flowing out of the bottom of the bottoms.

Usually give them each about a gallon and it barely leaks out the bottom so maybe give each plant 2 gallons. I will do it on my next watering be sure I'm using ph adjusted water

Is it as simple as that ?

Pretty much, but use 3 of PH'd water. The last with 1/4 - 1/2 strength neuts. After they dry return to normal.

Given you've used the wrong PH from the start it is very likely the soil needs flushing.

Little update:

Ph tester came in yesterday. Tested the RO water and was 9.0

Adjusted 2 gallons down to 6.0

Tested the run off after adding the 2 gallons to get an idea of what the soil ph was at and it read 6.2. I think this is okay for soiless veganic growing.

Added 1/2 nutes solution to the third gallon and the ph dropped from 9.0 down to about 6.1. Good enough for me

The rusting on the leaves of the Ghost of Leroy does not seem to be spreading whatsoever and I am yet to see any rusting on any of the other ladies.

Did the 3 gallon flush on all of the plants, just for good measure :D

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Just curious, can anyone explain why adding nutrients lowers the ph?

Feel free to talk nerdy to me ;) I love the technical details (ions exchange, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom