Help my ladies

Anthony718

420 Member
I don’t know or understand what’s going on , can anyone give me a clue?

49AE005A-4774-4006-A1D4-912790E235CC.jpeg

156812F5-9EE5-4249-91DA-977A54DED66F.jpeg

760556F5-202D-427C-B64A-427ED806935F.jpeg

04B30E6B-61BA-429F-90A9-6355DBFA572C.jpeg

Sorry for your troubles. Our crystal ball is in the shop, by that I mean - before anyone can help we need more info.

How old are the plants? Is this dwc or rdwc? What are you feeding? How often do you do res change? What’s your ph? ppm? or ec? Do you use H202 or an enzyme? Can we see a pic of the roots? What’s your ambient temp & rh? Whats your water temp? What type of floor is the tub sitting on?

please update with your answers and more folks will jump in later

I have grown these plants from seed, they are 8 weeks in vegetation with 2 toppings. In a home made dwc I change my reservoir at least twice a month but due to my schedule I really aim for weekly. I’m using general hydroponics in a water ph to 5.8 and a ppm of 950. I want my products to come out very strong at the end. It a small closet grow so I try to keep the rh where it should be for the growing periods during and the temp of my reservoir stays at 65-70 degrees

I’m soil grower so my skills are very limited in your hydro realm, one problem with sharing a common res is if one plant gets sickly then they all share in that same issue. When roots grow together then you have to cut roots to separate the plants.

What do the roots look like? Can we see a pic? They should be white. Brown, stained, slimy or smelly roots are signs of root rot. Are you running sterile / no organic stuff since hydro will grow bad bacteria quickly? How much air gap between bottom of net pots and the water level? May need caps to cover hydroton pellets since light is probably entering the res around the pebbles causing algae in tank.

Do you use H202 or an enzyme like hydroguard or Z7 to sterilize or introduce good bacteria? PPM sounds a tad high at 950 but again I don’t know beans about hydro or dwc. Small closet may not have enough air exchange....

I’m going to holler at my buddy @Rexer who is very skilled at hydro stuff. Hope he doesn’t mind another tag

Hmm....where to start. First, stop removing her leaves. She needs them.

I have grown these plants from seed, they are 8 weeks in vegetation with 2 toppings. In a home made dwc I change my reservoir at least twice a month but due to my schedule I really aim for weekly.
with a plant that is most likely raising the PPM/EC you need to reset the reservoir (best way IMHO), and lower the EC/ppm.
do you have any cal mag? What's your light type, and Distance to plants?

I’m using general hydroponics in a water ph to 5.8 and a ppm of 950.
I'd dump the reservoir, and try feeding her at 600PPM ~700PPM to see if you can get her feeding again. That's what I'd do if she were mine. Then once feeding again, start using the chart below.
I want my products to come out very strong at the end.
Then you need to listen to her, she'll feed plenty when everything lines up (lights, environment, correct feed PPM). If you try to force feed her, she'll spit nutes back by leaching into the res (causing PPM to rise).
It a small closet grow so I try to keep the rh where it should be for the growing periods during and the temp of my reservoir stays at 65-70 degrees

Perfect!

She may end up stunted a bit, and require some more veg time, but eventually she should recover. Many would cut their losses at this point and restart. Try to grow her out, your 1st hydro run, aim to make it to harvest to have something to smoke. then look to raise your game on the next run. Don't expect perfection on a first try. But you'll learn so much if you bring her to the finish line.

C62E28B0-CCEB-4E4A-BC84-A47103ECEC8B.jpeg-1.jpg

Roots look good from what I can tell. The brown on it is from the Micro most likely- it tends to stain the roots a bit.

So a few tips when starting out- avoid using common reservoir (where roots are touching each other), it can be done (I've done it), but should be avoided if possible. A dwc using 5 gallon bucket, or you can take a large tote and just cut holes and use an external reservoir and go rdwc. Personally, that is the best way you could do it (I've got physical limitations from health issues). RDWC can go longer without top ups with the right size reservoir.
@Tokin Roll is doing a dwc journal with some great journaling, and @dick23rk as well. There are other outstanding journals here that is well worth the time to read, if you'd like the links let me know and I'll drop a few to get your reading started.

The leaves on your plant are like little solar panels, take them all away and you'll loose power if you catch my drift. And, never ever top a plant that isn't healthy, you'll hurt yourself in the long run of the grow.

How much your going to yield will depend on lights, environment, plant health, nutrition, and training in no particular order.

Have you thought about starting a grow journal yet?

don’t know or understand what’s going on , can anyone give me a clue?
Can't say for sure but it looks like a case of unhealthy plants caused by slow starvation. In the bottom photo of msg #6 it looks like the center front row plant (the hydro pots are not visible on front row) has already starved and might not recover.

Plants need their leaves. Leaves are good for the overall health of the plant. They are necessary.

The leaves on your plant are like little solar panels, take them all away and you'll loose power if you catch my drift. And, never ever top a plant that isn't healthy, you'll hurt yourself in the long run of the grow.
Even better analogy than the solar panels is to remove a person's small intestine and just leave them the stomach and large intestine. Since 90% of digestion takes place in the small intestine the person slowly becomes unhealthy and and is starving to death without it. It will not matter what the quality of the food is that they put into their stomach, they starve.

Just like a plant can take up all the best nutrients possible through the roots, without the leaves to provide photosynthesis to convert those nutrients to sugars and starches and enzymes and various growth hormones the plant slowly starves and dies.

I don’t know or understand what’s going on , can anyone give me a clue?

49AE005A-4774-4006-A1D4-912790E235CC.jpeg

156812F5-9EE5-4249-91DA-977A54DED66F.jpeg

760556F5-202D-427C-B64A-427ED806935F.jpeg

04B30E6B-61BA-429F-90A9-6355DBFA572C.jpeg
They've had the crap burned out of them.

Hmm....where to start. First, stop removing her leaves.
Disagree.
They need to be moved out to the trash can.
Start over.

At this point, they'll never be anything but a struggle, and will probly go hermie on you.

Read the tutorial here on "how to grow'' and get a couple new plants.

PS: Get some five gallon smart pots. Put coco in 'em. Grow weed. Don't make it hard. Learn to walk before you try to run.

Disagree.
They need to be moved out to the trash can.
Start over.
I understand and agree with most of this quoted part. The rest of your msg is spot on. I cannot go with the 'disagree' part because I feel that it ignores the basics of healthy leaf growth being necessary. I really agree with @Rexer about stopping the removal of most or all leaves. That does come first. It does not matter if it is these plants or new ones.

Spending $5 or $100 on new seeds and growing new plants will not overcome the excessive removal of the leaves when the plant starts growing.

Just a little bug that is bothering me these days. This is the second or third msg from someone wondering why they have unhealthy plants and the photos show what seem to be healthy stems but next to zero leaves on them.

@Rexer i plan on starting a journal soon I just want to get the kinks outs and try to grow the best weed. This is my 1st cultivation some homemade put together, I’m actually waiting on my 96x48x80 tent and grow lights in the mail. I might have to start new but I don’t want to start from seedlings stage and I want a strain with high thc content.

@Rexer i plan on starting a journal soon I just want to get the kinks outs and try to grow the best weed. This is my 1st cultivation some homemade put together, I’m actually waiting on my 96x48x80 tent and grow lights in the mail. I might have to start new but I don’t want to start from seedlings stage and I want a strain with high thc content.
Do you want to start fresh, or continue this one out? There is an increased chance of it becoming a hermie if you do continue this one out. It's your grow, and your decision.

Well if you want to skip seedlings in the future you can grow a mother and start cloning. The common reservoir setup you have would make a half decent cloner.

As far as THC goes, keep getting good Genetics, get your growing down and you'll get your desired results. Don't expect a home run on a 1st attempt.

Look into LST, and stick with that. Don't go overboard trying high stress training anytime soon unless absolutely necessary.

Go into the grow journal of the month section on the forum and start reading journals that are hydroponic, you'll pick up a lot.

I can tell you now, if you plan on growing long term, you'll want each plant in its own bucket.

While attempting a first grow in DWC is ambitious, it's too volatile for a new grower IMO. It's like handing a 16 year old the keys to a race car and saying "good luck, dont die!"
One minute it's doing great and the next morning it's DEAD! Been there!!
....maybe let him get used to driving a Corolla before stepping up to the 2000 hp dragster, etc.
Sure, lots of people pop lettuce seedlings in a homemade setup and have great results etc but this is a whole other realm!
Not saying it's not possible, just that getting familiar with the plant, understanding what she does and doesn't like, and how to diagnose and resolve issues is 80% of the battle.
It's like learning to diagnose and repair passenger cars before learning to work on a fine tuned race car with little automotive experience.
I agree that you should probably start over AND that you should try to save them and at least take the opportunity to learn about what does and doesn't work.
You can totally produce more fantastic flower than you and your buddies can smoke in a small space BUT it does take some practice and learning from mistakes. You will have low points where you question yourself and you will learn a LOT about these complex and fascinating plants!
My advice would be to research solutions and heed advice here to try to save them AND pop a few new seeds in coco to be ready so you won't be months behind in case they don't make it. You can use the same nutes, maybe water them down a little for the young plants. It's like trying to feed an athlete's 4 course steak dinner to a baby LOL.
Now, if you really want to have some fun you can establish a perpetual flip garden once your new tent arrives that can produce a continuous supply every month!

While attempting a first grow in DWC is ambitious, it's too volatile for a new grower IMO. It's like handing a 16 year old the keys to a race car and saying "good luck, dont die!"
....maybe let him get used to driving a Corolla before stepping up to the 2000 hp dragster, etc.
Sure, lots of people pop lettuce seedlings in a homemade setup and have great results etc but this is a whole other realm!
Not saying it's not possible, just that getting familiar with the plant, understanding what she does and doesn't like, and how to diagnose and resolve issues is 80% of the battle.
It's like learning to diagnose and repair passenger cars before learning to work on a fine tuned race car with little automotive experience.
I agree that you should probably start over AND that you should try to save them and at least take the opportunity to learn about what does and doesn't work.
You can totally produce more fantastic flower than you and your buddies can smoke in a small space BUT it does take some practice and learning from mistakes. You will have low points where you question yourself and you will learn a LOT about these complex and fascinating plants!
My advice would be to research solutions and heed advice here to try to save them AND pop a few new seeds in coco to be ready so you won't be months behind in case they don't make it. You can use the same nutes, maybe water them down a little for the young plants. It's like trying to feed an athlete's 4 course steak dinner to a baby LOL.
Now, if you really want to have some fun you can establish a perpetual flip garden once your new tent arrives that can produce a continuous supply every month!
Thanks , I’m gonna start all over and get new seeds. Does anyone have any suggestions on seed banks?

Are there any strains you had in mind or more appropriately what effects would you prefer?
Keep your grow space in mind when seed shopping as well. You may find some that meet your smoking preference BUT want to be 10' tall no matter how you train them i.e. anything from around the equator wants to be a tree that flowers for 16 weeks! Thankfully the breeders have created hybrids that will give you the effects in a smaller plant with infica genetics. So, yeah that's how i shop for seeds, start with desired traits, then narrow selection down to what's feasible in my tiny garden

i fully agree there are easier options, such as a flood and drain or coco. I've never done coco, too much lifting (hurts too much).

Back
Top Bottom