Help needed, Switching from CFL to HPS

HIGH!

Looking for a little help here :420:

I have previously completed a grow using CFL. This time around I decided to invest in a grow tent, carbon filter, extractor fan, and a 600 watt HPS with hood. I will still veg under the CFL's and use the HPS for flowering.

My questions are, how should I adapt my grow while using the HPS? What should I look out for? Should I use any different techniques etc? There are loads of pics from my previous and current set up in my journals (old and new set ups all links in my sig) However I can post them here also if it would be of help.

I know there are plenty of people out there that are experienced using HPS, maybe some of you can pass on some hints or tips on the change of grow style for me.

Thanks in advance for all your help, Mono. :peace:

There isnt much difference other then worrying about the heat from your HPS. If you like CFLs and want to increase lighting in ur tent, you can add a home made hood with CFL bulbs for under $50. i have a picture of one of myn on my page, and i will be building another this weekend because i have had good success with them.

Another tip if you want dence buds keep the light source close to the plant so the buds can focus on thickining instead of replicating cells and wasting sugar on that shit jsut to reach the light.

that is why adding the CFL hood's help because they will allow you to grow not only on the canopy but on the sides.

*Also working with LST on my plants currently and so far i have had some INCREASED success when i added the CFL hood to the side of my plants.

zzzz2.JPG

keep an eye out on my page and ill have a how to on the hood with what all you need to build.

Thank you for your reply. I have previously grown a crop with CFL and enjoyed it very much. However I found the buds were not as dense as they could have been even under as close to perfect conditions as I could offer. So I made the jump to HPS.

However, I am sure your info on hoods for CFL's will be very useful to others :)

Thanks again, Mono

What kind of reflector you using
if you have a dimmable ballist, start on lowest setting, 2-3 days increase, 2-3 days later turn on full blast
If not dimmable start light 18- 24" away from top, dropping 1" a day till 18" from canapy

I'm just using a regular ballast and reflector. Thank you, I will start them 24" away from the bulb and lower it over the next couple of days.

:)

SAM_05352.JPG
SAM_05323.JPG

Thank you for your reply. I have previously grown a crop with CFL and enjoyed it very much. However I found the buds were not as dense as they could have been even under as close to perfect conditions as I could offer. So I made the jump to HPS.

However, I am sure your info on hoods for CFL's will be very useful to others :)

Thanks again, Mono

HPS is were its at, (other then LED's ofcourse) but what i was trying to say that you should ADD some CFL's to your grow to increase production on sides and help keep plant bushier.

Right now i have a 600w hps, a 600w equiv CFL hood, and a 300w equiv CFL bulb.

Here is a pic of my set up so you are pickin up what im puting down :high-five:

A168.JPG

I just started some LST on them so they are going to start fighing back toward the top and ill have a huge canopy becuase that bulb and hood. ( Thinking of adding another bulb ; )

lol the one in picture is a 600w equiv but i just built a 900w equiv but its in beta test atm because atm it produces almost asmuch heat as my 600w MPH lol (HOT AS HELL) Looking at wireing a small computer fan faced out the back of light to remove heat from the lights/plants. Once i can find some extra time i will post the pictures i took and the step by step to building the Macgyver Grow Light hahah ; P

I also saved the recipt so ill post cost and acuall names of the parts so there easyer to find..... pain in the ass to explain to people that work at home depot what a light spliter is lol first guy took me to the power strips XD..

Hire the disabled, they dont do much, but their fun to watch haha.

ill post link on here once i get it up.

Back
Top Bottom