Help pick new light

Grow nh

I am using CFL's in my grow box and I feel I would be better off with a hps/mh setup.

My grow box is 5'6"w x 2'6"d x 6'h total of 82.5 sq ft. Have a active air 4" inline fan with carbon filter , no fresh air in fan yet have been OK with just passive vents ,

As of right now I am using 16. 23watt CFL's 1600 lumens each for a total of. 368 watts & 25,600 lumens.
And I know that soon I am going to have to put more CFL's in to light side's ext.

I have been looking at lights from the sponsors and have been thinking about just going for it, But not sure if I should go with a 400 or 600 watt. I know more is better :tokin: but will 600 watt be to muck for my room.

Also I am looking at the Elite 400watt air cool hood and their 600watt air cool hood kits, they both come with digital dimmable ballast, hps and my bulbs, hanging kit 244.95 and 279.95.

I think as I am almost using 400watts why not get the benefits of hps/mh and keep my CFL's for the new clone/ veg box I have been dreaming about,
Any help or advice greatly appreciated

My grow box is 5'6"w x 2'6"d x 6'h total of 82.5 sq ft.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your grow box more like 13.75 sq. ft. and 82.5 c.f.?

I would get the 600 watt light as that is closer to the 50 watt/sq.ft. recommendation for lighting.

Thanks ColoradoHigh
That's what happens when you are writing a post and someone starts talking about fans,
Do you think my 4" 165 cfm fan will still be alright with the 600w or will I have to go bigger ???

Well I have a 6" Carbon Filter/Fan combo (130 CFM) in my 40 c.f. grow box and with nearly 600 watts of CFLs, the temps rise well into the 80's by the end of 12 hours of lighting. I think it would be fine if you are just cooling the fan, but if you need to add a carbon filter at some later date, you might find that there is not enough resulting CFM to adequately cool your grow box. Also, I would think that a 4" fan might be a tad noisy especially if it is pulling that much air. My fan is rated at 48 dB and if can be heard outside of the office within which the grow closet resides. As a comparison, my 6" clip fan (191 CFM) hardly made a sound, but that was with no carbon filter. I would think a 6" fan would be smallest I would consider given CFM, noise, etc. especially for a grow box of that size.

Right now with 16 CFL's it tops out at 81° with fan with filter running 70℅. Yes the fan is noisy but its in the basement and you can't hear a thing upstairs .

Back
Top Bottom