Help With New Grow Closet/Room.

Ontario, Canada. It ranges between oh 5C and 15C, and we're heading toward winter, of course. My reservoir runs at about 24-25C, but I have a good air stone helping against algae and disease. My chamber hits about 29C when the light is on, 73C lights out. Humidity at 40-50%. These numbers aren't great, which is why I should be picking resilient strains.

Didnt think u were a yank lol. I have always had fun wit the Canucks ive met in my travels. There just like Aussies with an accent mate.Heard stories of Matanuska TF about 15yrs ago That is some legendary stuff.Those numbers aint bad. Everyone say they wont grow above 32degc that just aint true. When i lived in Cairns,far nth Queensland it gets up to 45-46c and ive grown monsters up there. My temporary grow has only been about 19c for the last few days droppin to 16 at night same temps in tank. I got no algae in the tank but the top of the media is covered. I am using this new fytocell fytoflake its white foamy stuff and cannot be overwatered and keeps high oxygen levels. I am not that keen on using the algae stuff i got. Will any of those products that end in "zyme" eat it? Do you know anything about biobugs, if they will eat algae. It doesnt seem to affect growth but i would still like it gone.:thanks::passitleft:

+rep for your help and show of interest to a new member

Let me start by saying I'm sorry if I hijack this thread!

I'm getting ready to set up for my FIRST EVER grow, and would like some opinions/advice. My budget is tight for this, so I've done a lot of reading, and hope that this turns out.

I'm planning to split my grow up into a separate Veg and Flower area. I need to keep it stealth.

VEG AREA:

I have an area under a big wooden desk in a lockable office in my house - the area is about 2' x 2' x 2'. I'll line the sides of the desk with something white (without damaging the desk), plus probably use some of the white shelving material you can buy at Home Depot to make a back for it, plus a piece that I can then cover the desk's front opening with.

I'll be using either 23W or 26/30W CFLs - 12 of them. I'll either mount them in ceramic bases on a piece of drywall, or use shop light reflectors and Y splitters - 1 Y splitter in the reflector, then 2 more (1 in each of the original splitter sockets), giving me 4 CFL bulbs in each reflector, with 3 reflectors total). This should give me pretty close to 5000 lumens per square foot. I'll use the 6500k CFL's, since this is my seedling/veg area. I'll rig the lights up so that I can keep them an inch or 2 off of the plants at all times. I'll be running the CFL's 24x7.

I'm thinking of putting a PC fan in the top/front to exhaust, and an intake hole in the bottom of the back piece to get some ventilation.

The office is about 10' x 8' altogether, and has a heating/AC vent in it (but no return). This will give me fresh air into the office.

This should buy me a little time to put my flower area together. I'll be buying a cabinet/wardrobe type cabinet, perhaps 48" tall, somewhere around 3' wide and maybe 19' deep. It will be sitting in a locked bedroom, in front of the window. I'll put a hole in the back, and vent it out through the window (it will be maybe 6-8" taller than the bottom of the window, so a 4" dryer duct will run from the back of the cabinet to the window). I'm thinking maybe a 250w or 400w HPS with a batwing-type reflector (again, the interior walls will be flat white). This lighting should keep me in the 4500 - 5000 lsf range.

SO.....first, I'd like some feedback about both grow areas.....good, bad or indifferent. I'm thinking that by splitting it up, I can keep 2 grows going simultaneously. I plan to start with 6 plants in each grow (too few/many???). How much harvested/dry weight should I anticipate? I know this is a loaded question, and can easily be answered with "It depends". I live in a MMJ state, so I hope to make plenty enough to cover my expenses and buy more seeds/clones for my 2nd grow. I've heard that Big Bud yields more than most, but many strains are popular here.

SECOND - I haven't decided on a grow method - organic, other medium, hydro, etc. This is my first time, and I understand that soil is much more forgiving (especially for us n00bs), but I've also heard that hydro typically gives a better yield. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'll gladly post pics once I get this up and running.....

Thanks!!!

Not gonna worry about the algae. To my amazement all the pots had roots hanging out the drain holes this morning. Woo Hoo My seeds arrived!
Thai haze X Skunk1 Now I can stop stressing. I was so sure Customs would turn up with the Oinkers to deliver them lol. Stoked they look like nice eggs.:goodjob: :ganjamon:

Man if u can get fytoflake medium use it!! It is the most forgiving media it maintains a 60% water content and a 37% oxygen content the actual media itself is only 3% of the total. You can over water or forget to water and these numbers only fluctuate a tiny amount good for noobs or people that tend to forget to turn pumps on and off and i would think great insurance in really big grows where pump failure would be otherwise catastrophic. I have no association with the company these are my personal recommendations for a product i have found to be very good.:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom