Homeland Security: Respect Civil Rights

Ms. RedEye

420 Support
420 Staff
Americans have a right to move about without fear of being groundlessly stopped by law enforcement. As far as we know, that constitutional right applies to all Americans, not just the minority who live far removed from the nation's borders.

In what is proving to be a sweeping Bush administration security initiative, the Department of Homeland Security has expanded use of its authority to operate within 100 miles of the border. That has come to include increasingly frequent use of roadblocks in Western Washington.

Much of the activity has occurred around Bellingham and Port Angeles. As the Seattle P-I's Paul Shukovsky reported, it has become routine to check an intercity bus on the Olympic Peninsula at least weekly, subjecting each passenger to questioning about his or her citizenship papers. The Border Patrol maintains it could exercise its authority in Seattle, as well.

Indeed, by American Civil Liberties Union calculations based on U.S. Census Bureau data, nearly two-thirds of Americans live within 100 miles of either a land border or the coast. That alone ought to show why it's important that the ACLU plans to test the continuing expansion of border-related powers in court.

There's also the matter of priorities and effectiveness. Just last month, U.S. Attorney Jeff Sullivan had to tell the Border Patrol his office didn't want to see any more small marijuana possession cases from the roadblocks.

A disabled veteran said that despite Sullivan's decision to drop charges related to his use of medical marijuana, he remained shaken. As with so many Bush administration security policies, this seems to be neither effective nor respectful of fundamental rights. If the Obama administration doesn't make changes, the courts must sort out the matter.

News Hawk: MsRedEye: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Copyright: 1996-2008 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

If you want to be safe from searches... 1) make sure you're white 2) make sure you're in a limo or some other high end vehicle 3) wear a suit and tie

Incarceration rates from the Pew Research Center

breakdown.gif

If you want to be safe from searches... 1) make sure you're white 2) make sure you're in a limo or some other high end vehicle 3) wear a suit and tie

You are absolutely right, and if you even ask the boarder control, they will even give you a similar statement.

I live in western Washington, and have dwelt with this broader patrol. They are complete dickheads!

They could give ratsass about your rights, so much if you breath their directions. I have a friend who is Hispanic born in America, and was questioned twice in the same day by the same officer. Whether the officer didn't like how my friend was voicing his rights as a citizen or what, the officer was ready to arrest him just for that!

I really do understand the immigration problem, but what do we aspect when our tax dollars are paying for them to live here better then they can live in Mexico.

This boarder control is a violation of civic rights and a complete disregard to the real problems. These immigrants are facing all kinds of unfortunate circumstances in there homeland and on their way trying to come here, boarder control is just another one on that list.

**important** illegal immigrants caught by the boarder patrol, are sent home and lose their chance of become a citizen.

Back
Top Bottom