How can I check PPM if I don't have a Test Pen?

mangosnapper

I have a PH test kit to check my water and Nutes for the High/Low aspects of PH. But I keep reading about ppl
discussing PPM's with their possible problems or what not.

" Is there anyway or formula to get the PPM from my PH tester? Or some other way until I can afford to purchase
a TDS tester? "

Thanks Ya'll :ganjamon:

Na PPM can not be measure with with PH pen !

Basically PPM/parts per million boils down to is...

The greater the strength of nutrients/quanity per litre of water etc effects end results of PPM !

So by applying 5ml of nutrients to a litre of water will have lower PPM then 10ml of nutrients in same volume of water !

Hence we often see nutrient feed charts start lower in nutrient requirements & slowly progressing up in quanity as the plant progress's in growth there for requiring more nutrients to support healthy growth...

Fuzzy... so let's say, the feed chart tells you to add 5ml each of a three part fertilizer mix. ( I am using Blue Planets Farmers Pride organic )
...now I know to try this set formula, and if the plants tell me to be more aggressive. Then bump it up, if need be. Or if they show me some burn or whatever, back it down etc. etc. etc.
...And this fine with me. It's all I have ever known. But it seems like today, everyone is calling on PPM's and EC's more and more....should I be worried, or am I missing the boat on a good thing? Money is tight and needed elsewhere right now. " Dazed and Confused"

As always...Thank you Fuzzy Duck for taking the time to give me your thought's on growing. I really appreciate your words of wisdom.

:passitleft:

I think a lot people get blinded by the science of some aspects of growing which sometimes may confuse the matter a little, along with lack of research...

EC/Electrical Conductivity really only works on chemical synthetic nutrients... very hard to get a true or any reading when using organics !

PPM once again best used with chemical synthetic nutrients... ya don't really get an accurate reading with organic nutrients also !

On a side note - PPM is still directly related to amount of nutrients used & the same can be said about EC also !

So PPM/EC is a rather pointless effort & may lead to frustration etc if trying to check these with organics.

I must admit it is rather difficult to achieve nutrient burn with organic nutrients but may happen on rare occassions, the only thing i've noticed with organics via over feeding was nitrogen toxicity issue whilst in veg once... strain related tho as each 'n' every strain grown may respond differently to nutrient requirements !

Unlikely to suffer with defeciencys whilst in veg inless under feeding, but may notice mild defs towards mid to late veg & may suggest an increase in nutrients more likely being micro nutrients & a Ca/Mg calcium/magnesium supplement is always worth while in the collection of nutrients :thumb:

In flowering the most common defs most likely to occur...

Early to mid flowering P-phosphorus is pretty common as its a pretty difficult nutrient for the plants to absorb/microganism to make aviable for plant use !

With mid to late flowering K-potassium may show on occassion but not always.

Myself being an organic grower i've never bothered with PPM/EC or even tested PH value of nutrient laced water for feeding !

The most important factor for soil growing is the PH value of the soil/compost & this being the buisness end when concerning microganism & organic nutrients :love:

I shall include the following links...

BPN organic feed schedule - Organic Fertilizer Guide

BPN nutrient disorders, tis very good & informative - Nutrient Disorders

Another def guide - Some plant deficiencies

These may help you along your journey of growing :thumb:

Get a test pen ASAP. pH, PPM should always be in the correct range or your plants will damage.

Yah Man...my pen came in a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised of much the numbers added up so fast. And with my Jack Herer plant. They can overfeed real fast causing problems...as with most Sativa dominant strain...I learned the hard way.. :morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom