How high should I trim?

I figured, after I sent that, I realized I'm prob not the first to think of this lol

Now I can't wait to get home, n fix my babies lol

That's exactly why I only did 2. I feel like more than that would be to much to think about. Plus, if I screw up, I'd rather mess up 2 plants than 4

Exactly, i am by no means an expert yet, in fact only a couple months in. I only grow 2 at a time. Not because I cant grow more, but probably because where im at its kind of frowned upon if you know what I mean lol.

I hear ya, I don't know how my landlord would fee about it.

you're slowing down the growth and health of your plant by constantly fucking with it and trimming healthy fan leaves. Those fan leaves that you keep removing are like solar panels producing energy for your plant. If the plant does not need the leaf it will start to yellow, will only happen with the most shaded leaves.

you're slowing down the growth and health of your plant by constantly fucking with it and trimming healthy fan leaves. Those fan leaves that you keep removing are like solar panels producing energy for your plant. If the plant does not need the leaf it will start to yellow, will only happen with the most shaded leaves.

Every time I do it, my plants boom the next day. They get big quick vs the days when I don't do stuff.
I do trim every day, just when they're blocking light or air.

Not true. It's been proven that defoliating increases yields big time. By doing this the plant is skipping those fan leaves and going straight to the bud.

You're wrong, for one the plant is TINY, and in veg. It's never going to grow if you keep plucking fan leaves at that stage in it's growth. But shit what do I know.
DCP_2388.JPG

Every time I do it, my plants boom the next day. They get big quick vs the days when I don't do stuff.
I do trim every day, just when they're blocking light or air.

are you trimming a 7" plant? I trim daily too, but on large plants, there is no reason for the plant to put energy into small branches that will never see full sun/light. I do not take fan leaves off until the plant has decided to cull them herself or 10-14 days before harvest.

Not true. It's been proven that defoliating increases yields big time. By doing this the plant is skipping those fan leaves and going straight to the bud.

What are you going to harvest off a 7" plant? Listen I'm not trying to be condescending but you act like I'm not trying to help you. Trimming the MAIN fan leaves on such a tiny plant is NOT going to increase your "yield"

Nice lookin' plant!!

I would nip the top of this right away, FIM it or such. And I would also tie down the top maybe a day later - read extent of stress the plant can take, tie down with tomato tie tape, wire, string, long pip cleaners, so the top points to the side, then it and the rest of the now side facing nodes will grow up and out, you can fan out from there to spread the growth horizontally to get the best light coverage for all growth. Light Addict has a systematic way of doing it but you can have great success even if you don't follow as systematic a method as he does. It's been done - by me if no one else, just read your plant as others have said. I don't remove fans unless they are damaged to a 1/3 dead extent, or in flower if they are blocking light but even then rarely take out fans, I tuck and redirect instead. They are the solar panels for the plants.

Good healthy growth you have here!! Just try to redirect it so it doesn't get to be too tall and skinny a plant that you outgrow space and don't get full use of your lighting. :)
Do you think I've trimmed to much?
420-magazine-mobile891167692.jpg

One plant is 12" n the other 10".

N I meant I "don't" trim every day, just when they're blocking light or air.
N when I do, I don't rip off a ton.
Mostly, I redirect the branches into open areas, n spread everything out.

My rules are to trim as little as possible, but if a leaf is shading a bud, it has to go, and if a leaf itself is in the shade, it's a candidate for removal. Leaves that are both blocking light AND restricting air circulation are definite candidates for defoliation.

Just FYI and FWIW, here is the little foot-tall Dwarf Low Flyer growing out on my deck. Like you, I had big fan leaves blocking the buds, so I cut off the four big ones on the top, exposing the bud sites underneath. The buds just exploded as soon as the shade was removed.

2017-06-29_Day_30_001.JPG

Before: 4 big fan leaves blocking

2017-06-29_Day_30_defoliation_005.JPG

After: Bud sites exposed to full sunlight were VERY happy. (Pink fake flowers are to confuse the neighbors. ;))

Sure confused me hahaha

My rules are to trim as little as possible, but if a leaf is shading a bud, it has to go, and if a leaf itself is in the shade, it's a candidate for removal. Leaves that are both blocking light AND restricting air circulation are definite candidates for defoliation.

Just FYI and FWIW, here is the little foot-tall Dwarf Low Flyer growing out on my deck. Like you, I had big fan leaves blocking the buds, so I cut off the four big ones on the top, exposing the bud sites underneath. The buds just exploded as soon as the shade was removed.

2017-06-29_Day_30_001.JPG

Before: 4 big fan leaves blocking

2017-06-29_Day_30_defoliation_005.JPG

After: Bud sites exposed to full sunlight were VERY happy. (Pink fake flowers are to confuse the neighbors. ;))

The DIY planter, and the added flowers-you're brilliant, Scientific.

Back
Top Bottom