How I got started growing my own BUDS

Urdedpal

Hi guys. Let me reintroduce myself for the people that don't know me.
The name is Urdedpal. Its pronounced Your dead pal. Its a old gamer name I have had for sometime now. December 23 is my first year annaversary with this site. Since I have been here I made many friends and got a chance to share some of my grow info.
I started smoking herb as a teen recreationaly but it was rare to do it because the group I hanged out with did not really smoke. Back then like many others I put a seed in a cup of dirt and watched it grow from seedling to a poor scrawny plant that would just fall over and die. That was my first experience of trying to grow weed.
When I became 18 I joined the military and never even thought of cannabis for 4 years. I even went to amsterdam and just visited the green palace and a redlight district. Military people are not allowed to go to coffee shops and I was a good lil soldier boy. Besides, at the time I didn't know what those coffee shops were.
I ended my military career by getting runned over by a light blue 1983 chevy pickup truck. The accident really messed up my back and during that time period Bill Clinton was downsizing our military. I was pretty much enrolled in the early out program with full benifits.
Even being out of the military, I smoked herb very rarely because I never really looked for it and only bought in with a few friends when it was available.
About 8 years ago I met a guy at work name Steve and he was a fast energetic guy that was fun to talk too and hang out. This guy was a heavy smoker and would hook me up every now and then. After knowing this guy for a while I started to really get a taste for herb and now had connections for getting more. Back then I mostly smoked swag or middies but would get kind bud if that was the only weed available. After a while I started making good money in the new career I got into and would only get Kind bud or mids.
I would pick up a high times mag every once in a while and could only daydream about how the top strains were like but did not own my own place so never really thought about growing. I did have a hobby of growing and supporting salt water reef systems and the rest was fun and play til I got married and started having kids. Money and time got real tight plus I had to get a house and get out of the apartment seen.
I bought my house and was prepping to move in before the second child was born but huricane Isabelle really fucked that up for me.
The low atmospheric pressures caused my wife's water to break early and bam lets go to the hospital and have a baby.
Right after the baby is born I had to move and the electricity is out at the house and my apartment. The move to the new house sucked so bad. I even got a speeding ticket!
Because the power was out for so long, everything in my reef tank died. I was devastated, $1400 worth of livestock dead. I decided to tear down the tank and maybe get into another cheaper hobby lol.
The following friday I was up late watching the sci fi channel and a commercial came on for a local hydroponics store. I decided to visit the store the next day and purchased a megagarden ebb system. I was going to use my lights from my reef system to grow with and germed some bag seed.
I used to burn the hell out of those plants because I would always overfert the plants. The only info I had for growing was 2 magazines. I decided I needed more info and bought my first grow bible by Greg Green. Talk about a real eye opener. I read that book from page to page at least twice within a week and finally started to understand why my plants look like shit. I cut down on the nutes and went back to the hydro store and bought a 400w switchable hydrofarm light.(cheaper hobby?) I put this stuff on credit thinking that I would have lots of weed and would recoup my money right away.
I didn't realize at the time that this new and exciting hobby can be so god damn hard. I now had severe heat issues and had to move the grow from a closet to the basement bathroom. I had to light proof it. I had to buy ventilation. The house stinks, I have to buy a carbon filter. Damn, its cheaper to buy weed. My first harvest was maybe about 2 ounces but was more than likely less. I did not have a scale and this was no where near enough herb to try and sell. Besides it was very airy small bud that tasted like fresh cut hay. I smoked it all with my brother n law before it ever had a chance to cure.
Talk about being dissapointed. I started another grow right away and decided to use soil. Now I had bug problems and working with dirt indoors really sucks ass. I returned to hydro after that harvest and started experimenting until I got my first good harvest. It was about a half pound. Took me about a year to do it lol.
I never stopped and got better at it. I go a lil overboard with my hobbies sometimes and started doing serious research, buying strains from seedbanks and of course more equipment. Since then I have been growing nonstop and own a good number of grow books, equipment and strains. Its been 3 and a 1/2 years with only a total of 6 months of not growing. My grow room is always changing and getting better. I am a lot more patient and nolonger grow for profit but instead for pure pleasure.
One year ago I was on the comp looking for seeds, and grow info and I came upon this site. It was the first time I decided to join a internet forum and only ever talked to people via IM or email. It was very exciting to finally get a chance to talk to people about 420 related info and thats when I found out that there are too few people out there that knows mj shit the way I do. I guess I went a lil overboard trying to learn as much about cannabis as I can but its a hobby and a big part of my life now. Its why I am still here. To show others how to grow cannabis in a more efficient manner and of coarse to learn as much as possible.
Hope you guys like the story. Kinda boring but its real life with no frills.:Rasta:

Urdedpal That's the realist shit I ever heard man. My life is like urs probably way back when u had the new babies and everything. The only difference is. I'm not on my own yet. But I have a skill in sumthing I've been in my whole life. My brother made a livin off of this skill and supported us with it since my step father passed. So within a couple of months I will be out of my situation. And will be able to make some real money.
But I started out like a good year ago. Just pickin up mags and buyin hygrade herb. But then Me and my connect ended. So I was the only one fascinated about the whole cannabis thing. I was wasted off this shit. Soakin up sooooooooo much info. But I only wished.
So Far I grew a bagseed. It aint turn out to Dope. But I learned. Frm u and all the greats. In a minute. ( That's an expresion we use around here.) I will be amongst the greats. I just have to tighten up and handle some bizness.
But When I first got on here. It was like I think one or two months BEFORE Rest In Peace Paralyzed 420. I never knew him. Nor do I know u urdedpal. But I read and seen the passion u guys have. That's what keeps me thumpin. To me, Cannabis Really cleared my view on this world and everything. I just did'nt want to be sumbody who smokes weed. Plus I smoke real treez. Not weed. To me it's a difference.But yea I wanna know what the hell I'm blowin on. And how to make it, So I dont be a damn bum. Wastin my money. If u add up the years I spent money on bullshyte, I could be rich. So i fliped the script. I learned to fish, instead of buyin so called fresh fish. And that'ts what I'm doin. I'm takin it slowly but surely.
Who ever startd this site did great. It's like a Mill ticket for those who want to see. And I'm a eagar on.

REEFACHEEFA

Great story Urdedpal.
For me it was much quicker.
The very first bag of weed I bought (Acapulco Gold, $10/oz) in '67 I emptied out into a tray and I was stunned. Seeds!!!
My very first thought was "wow now I can grow my own."
I remember remarking to my firend who went in halfs with me "the dealers are stupid, they should take the seeds out so they can stay in business."
Cause to me, it was a no-brainer.
The next morning I dropped my 1st seeds.
My first attempts were poor. Back in '67 there was no books or anything re:marijuana cultivation.
I didn't know how to get buds. I'd pick leaves off the plant all summer long, by late Aug. they were dead. I couldn't figure out why The weed I grew was so different than the weed I bought.
This went on for several years. Then 1 day in mid-Oct. I was clearing out some weeds behind the garage and came upon a couple of plants that I had planted back there but forgot about.
And on these small plants weere buds!!!
It was like the light bulbs above someones head in cartoons.
By chance both plants were females and had buds. At the time I thought all pot plants grew buds.
The next spring I talked to an experienced grower and she said there were male and female plants and only the females grew buds, and a female had to be pollinated by a male to get seeds. And you had to wait until Sept/Oct to get buds.
That fall I noticed these dangling things on some of the plants. I figured these were seeds and the plants were females, probably pollinated by some neighbor who was growing weed. So I ripped up all the plants that didn't have those dingleballs.
Of course what I did was rip up the females, so another year with no bud.
The next spring I sought out another grower who set me straight and clued me into what was what. And since then I've harvested buds every year.

From your experiences is it nigh impossible to pull off your first grow correctly? Even following info from books and this website? I'd be mighty dissapointed to take care of something and spend so much money on it only to watch it die before me.

dude thats a great story! similar thinking behind my attempt, but i think if this all turns out right that we will just have some good smoke...hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom