How I Prevent Insects

MickFoster

I grow in coco/perlite, 75%/25%, in 4 gallon containers. To keep the insects out that invade the medium and lay eggs like fungus gnats I use that weed blocker mesh that you get at home depot for your flower beds. I glue a piece over the drain hole so they can't get in that way, then I start with about an inch of hydroton on the bottom, then I put in my coco mix, then I put a piece of the weed blocker, then I top it off with about an inch of sterilized play sand. For flyers, I hang the yellow stickies throughout my plants. I also lollipop my plants to allow good air flow at the top of the pots. And lastly I keep things clean and sanitary. Never had a problem.

I am a former soil grower and starting all over the last thing I want to deal with is fungus gnats, I have been looking at some other products and debating on like you said weed prevention barrier and using sand, and then weed prevention barrier again and then taping off the top of that with a Mylar tape, and making sure everything is carefully sealed up and not giving them the chance to start. So I just wanted to say Thank You for this post because it really helped to answer my question of why I came here looking for the next set of answers as I carefully prepare the design of my hydroponics system.

Back
Top Bottom