Preventing Gnats In Soil

goofyfoot

Howdy All 420 peoples ......
This is something I am noticing and am going to ask others that use ONLY Coco for a medium. I mix my own soil, not potting soil but start from a 50 pound bag of Top soil. Sand, charcoal nuggets used for air plant medium, per-lite and sphagnum are the main things and very small amount of manure.
The last two grows I tried something by mixing it 60 / 40 with coco fiber to "lighten" it up. But for the last 5 gallon fiber pot I did not have enough to fill but had 2 more bricks of coco. After I soaked them I did not need all of it and used the the left over fiber on top as the pots settle after the first soak.

What I have realized is the two pots that have almost no coco fiber on top have gnats and the other 4 with a good inch of fiber have NO GNATS. There is no organic materials in the coco fiber( compost ) that supports them or their larvae. I am going to ask on this forum, others with only coco as a base if they EVER had a Gnat issue. They need decomposing materials and moisture. Coco it neutral and drains quickly compared to dirt.

Just throwing it out as something for all you who prefer soil for indoor growing. Try leaving 2 inches from the top of your container for only coco fibers. The compressed blocks are "DIRT CHEAP" and only need to be soaked in water to un-pack. Top off the container with fiber and go about your normal routine. I hate the little bastards and it takes weeks to get rid of them, If you see them flying and walking around the surface. They are in the material around your roots as well.

If this keeps the surface as an unfriendly environment, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH THEM AGAIN...!!

something to think about and to try, heading over to ask a few coco people and will see what they say, please feel free to comment. We all want the best for our little ones. And not getting bugs or spraying neem oil, Dove or hot sauce water on the soil. Is something cool.....

Peace.....:Namaste:

Gnat nix and diatomaceous earth work. As do powdered mosquito dunks(larva).

Gnat larva are in the top two inches of medium, typically. They can't live in dry conditions. This is why the coco worked. It dries out faster. Coco growers still get gnats occasionally.

I guess I'm more on the side of using the diatomaceous earth. I can use it for other household applications. I guess worms really love the stuff too. So people using living soils that add worm colonies would see the most benefit. It got rid of my gnats in days.

Back
Top Bottom