How Should I Store My Seeds?

I removed as many seeds as I could When I trimmed my buds

I've got some seeds of Northern White Kush from Canada that I've been storing in a glass vial, just waiting for the right time to crack them. Which could be upwards of a year unfortunately.

I keep mine in the original retail packaging - in tyvek envelope, in dark place...

6 years now and adding every few months - no noticeable change in viability, so far...

I found a plant full of seeds on one of my many treks along the river here and plucked a couple seeds fresh off the plant, put them in a dab of h20 and now, 3 days l8r, the little white tail is peeking out. these seeds will grow into fatties or not? Being fresh as they r. I've read many different tales about seeds and their viability. is there a right way or just anyway to get it grown?:rollit::rollit::loopy::ciao:

For uninterrupted long term storage, freezing in a vacuum pack with a dessicant is best. Each time a batch of seeds goes through a freeze/thaw cycle, a few become unviable. For storage lengths of a few years or less, room temperature storage in an airtight container with a dessicant is satisfactory. Vacuum packing with dessicant and room temperature storage is best for access without the thaw and re-freezing that kills them. The problem with using the refrigerator for any period of time is the excessive amount of moisture constantly present. Each time the door is opened, moisture condenses on items inside, for which the dessicant is an inadequate deterrent for molds. A vacuum sealed container should not condense moisture on the inside. I have no knowledge of the effective lifespan of rice as a dessicant, but it could be replaced occasionally if suspected to be losing effectiveness. Using heat to remove any moisture present in rice or other "makeshift" dessicants will improve effectiveness and longevity. I have heard of vermiculite being used as a dessicant, but would recommend silica gel as a first choice. I heard of properly stored seeds over 10 years old still germinating at acceptable rates.

Author: MisterIto

Just an FYI, drywall chunks make an excellent dessicant as well. Just stick the piece in an oven at 325 for an hour to dry it out. It'll absorb 50% of its weight in water vapour!

What's a dessicant?

A misspelling of desiccant, I guess, lol? A hygroscopic substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness (desiccation) in its vicinity. Those little porous sachets that contain silica gel are such. So are those little cylindrical containers that are commonly found in vitamin (etc.) packages. I have seen products in quart-sized cans, where the user simply removed the lid and placed them a cabinet and they'd absorb moisture; they could later be heated, the moisture would evaporate, and they could be reused.

Not every hygroscopic substance makes a good desiccant. Brake fluid, for example, will quickly absorb moisture (that's why the containers always carry a warning about tightly resealing them after opening, and to not use after so long after they have been initially opened (typically, one year)) - but you probably wouldn't want to use it for the purpose of removing moisture from a space ;) .

Thanks for your good explanation. You mean now for the first time in my life I may have a good reason to save those little sachet packets that I normally throw away? LOL

Thanks for your good explanation. You mean now for the first time in my life I may have a good reason to save those little sachet packets that I normally throw away? LOL

Well, they're certainly not non-toxic. But I don't see why they couldn't be used for the purpose. To be honest with you, if I was the paranoid sort - and I am ;) - I might suggest trying it with ONE seed for a period of time, and then seeing if that seed remains viable (germinates and grows into a healthy seedling). OtOH, they DO put them in things like (AfaIK) children's chewable vitamins, so...

Still, it seems like a decent idea to me.

I know this is an old thread, but it still seems active. I found this explanation, but I'm not sure into which category cannabis seeds fall.

Preparing Your Seeds for Storage is Important

"How you prepare and store your seeds can be as important to their eventual viability as how they were grown. Seeds must be carefully dried and then stored under the proper conditions in order to give them the best chances of germinating and producing healthy plants when they are planted. Luckily, all the needs of seeds are easily provided once you are aware of their requirements.
Some Seeds Are "Desiccation-Intolerant"

For purposes of storage, there are basically two types of seed: 'desiccation-tolerant' and 'desiccation-intolerant'. Most of the garden plants with which we are familiar produce desiccation-tolerant seeds, which means they can be safely dried for long-term storage. Exceptions include many aquatic plants, large-seeded plants, and some trees (such as oaks and buckeyes), many of which produce desiccation-intolerant seeds and will die if allowed to dry.

Preparing "Desiccation-Intolerant" Seeds for Storage

Desiccation-intolerant seeds do not enter dormancy after maturing. Instead, respiration and other physiological processes continue. Continued respiration after maturation causes desiccation-intolerant seeds to deteriorate rapidly once they have matured, so they must be planted while still fresh. Desiccation-intolerant seeds partially or completely lose viability if they are allowed to dry—usually they die.

Since desiccation-intolerant seeds must be stored moist, they can only be kept for short periods of time before they begin to succumb to fungal or bacterial rots, or run out of stored food reserves because of continued respiration.

Some seeds (such as citrus) are 'borderline' desiccation-intolerant. These can be dried and stored for some time, but lose viability quickly and germinate slowly once they've been dried. Slow germination rates and lowered viability make borderline desiccation-intolerant seeds susceptible to damping-off or other microbial damage during germination. For this reason even seeds which are only borderline desiccation-intolerant perform best if planted fresh."

My understanding is that most seeds have molecules of water within them that keeps them viable. That said, desiccant would not be advisable, though many seem to have had success with the method. Perhaps the seed skin seal prevented absorption of the water molecules.

As a cigar smoker, I keep them in my humidor which sustains room temps. and 69-71% relative humidity. I've never had any issues, but haven't kept them long term that way.

Ive read so much crap about storing your seeds in the freezer that i decided to do my own test. I thought to myself nature has freeze and thaw cycles so why should it effect the cannabis seed since it is grown in those regions? I got a control group of 25 seeds from different strains and another 25 i vigorously tested. I fast froze, quick thawed, fast froze over and over again. Sometimes as soon as they froze i thawed them out. I must have done this over 200+ times over a three month period. When i did the germination test for both groups there was no change in rates or vigor. If you have spare seeds i suggest you do this test yourself. Question i asked after all this is this, why does a seed lose its germination/vigor over time? Well after researching i found out a seed is a living thing and will slowly use up its stored reserves. When the reserves become low the seed will either die due to lack of substance or lose its germination/vigor rate. Freezing your seeds will stop this process dead cold no pun in tended. Sticking them in the fridge will slow but not stop this process.

P.S. I even took the seeds out of the bag when they were thawing and let them collect moisture during the thaw process. It didnt take long for them to dry out after they completely thawed, i thought this was worth mentioning. I wanted to abuse them as much as i could, like i said above there was no difference in vigor or germination rates. I even looked at the plant underneath a 1000* microscope, no difference in structure.

Ive read so much crap about storing your seeds in the freezer that i decided to do my own test. I thought to myself nature has freeze and thaw cycles so why should it effect the cannabis seed since it is grown in those regions? I got a control group of 25 seeds from different strains and another 25 i vigorously tested. I fast froze, quick thawed, fast froze over and over again. Sometimes as soon as they froze i thawed them out. I must have done this over 200+ times over a three month period. When i did the germination test for both groups there was no change in rates or vigor. If you have spare seeds i suggest you do this test yourself. Question i asked after all this is this, why does a seed lose its germination/vigor over time? Well after researching i found out a seed is a living thing and will slowly use up its stored reserves. When the reserves become low the seed will either die due to lack of substance or lose its germination/vigor rate. Freezing your seeds will stop this process dead cold no pun in tended. Sticking them in the fridge will slow but not stop this process.

P.S. I even took the seeds out of the bag when they were thawing and let them collect moisture during the thaw process. It didnt take long for them to dry out after they completely thawed, i thought this was worth mentioning. I wanted to abuse them as much as i could, like i said above there was no difference in vigor or germination rates. I even looked at the plant underneath a 1000* microscope, no difference in structure.
I am just curious about seed banks on how they store the seeds.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

I am just curious about seed banks on how they store the seeds.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

I saw a documentary about 10 years ago about Green House Seed Company in Amsterdam. From what i remember they just stored the seeds in large organized shelves, no refrigeration or freezer.

If your going to store them say a year or so put them in a glass jar or black film canister in a cool dark place and don't expose them to light you don't want to accidentally start the germination process. If your planning on storing them for more than a year say 2 years put them in a glass jar and In a freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom