How to: Simple Hydroponics

Follow up on plant #2. The 10 gallon brute, filled with grodan grow cubes, was a solid mass of roots. I got it out of the 10gal container and ripped off most of the root ball, keeping just the stronger tap roots. The stalk was 2.5" at the base. After a good spray with the hose, here it is:

roots90.jpg

These roots are being made into a root balm / salve, which I will be soon posting another article on how to make it, and the benefits of it. Final weights should be in Monday.

Do you prefer drain to waste better than recirculating with the croutons? Just wondering, read in your contest , drain to waste or recirculate.
Very interesting, thank you for posting.

You also mention in this thread a mix of croutons and hydroton watering 6 x day have you actually used this mix and what were your results?

C/P.
4. Irrigation times. Get a cheap 15min on, 15 min off timer. If you are using straight grow-cubes, I would start with 3-4 x a day, 15 minutes each time. If you are using a mix of hydroton and grow cubes, I would start with 6 times a day. After irrigating, wait 30 minutes and then lift your pot slightly to see how heavy it is. Then, come back in a few hours later. If you notice a difference, up the frequency. The beauty about rockwool cubes, is that it is difficult to over water. But we do want to let the roots get plenty of oxygen.

Very nice harvest, congrats. Excellent commitment.

Do you prefer drain to waste better than recirculating with the croutons? Just wondering, read in your contest , drain to waste or recirculate.

Good questions, Wacky. During vegetative growth, I prefer to just hand water once or twice a day to waste. But if I go out of town, I'll hook up a recirculating system and set them to water twice a day. I feel like I get a little bit better growth by handwatering to waste... but it is not substantially better, so do what works for you. The scope of this article is "Simple", and the point is you don't need a ton of hydro gear to grow a one pounder. That said, I always recirculate (3-4 times a day) when going to flower, as I can't hand water that often. When you go to flower with a biggon, it will use up at least a gallon or more a day. Even when using 100% grow cubes, you will need to irrigate at least twice a day when in the first month of flower.

As I said before, the nice thing about using the rockwool growcubes (not chunks) is that it is difficult to over-water. Also, unlike dirt, you won't have problems with dry spots in the pot, over-watering or dirt contracting and leaving the roots on the sides of the container to dry out. The only disadvantage to the grow cubes is they need to be watered more often... which is a good thing ;-) The more we can flood the root system with nutrients and oxygen, the faster growth we have.

You also mention in this thread a mix of croutons and hydroton watering 6 x day have you actually used this mix and what were your results?

Yes, the beast you see above (scroll up) in the 10 gallon brute was done with a mix of hydroton and grow cubes. This is the same plant with the 2.5" stalk. The yield was over a pound. I irrigated 5 times a day with it. The roots mass completely filled up the 10gallon brute. As I've said before... whenever we see one pounders +, we see massive containers. HOWEVER! I won't do this 10 gal container again, as now I have 10 gallons of used growcubes / hydroton mix that I have to throw away. Yes, the results were outstanding, but I can do the same in the 6 gallon air pot with 100% grow cubes. If I didn't have the airpot, I would make a "poor man's air pot" using a 5 gallon bucket.

After this experiment, I don't feel that adding the hydroton and using a bigger container gave me a significant advantage. Yes, I did get over a lb, and with the other plant I only got 14 (almost 3oz difference). But remember that is because it is a different strain. The roots cant penetrate the hydroton and I feel it is just taking up space. It does allow you to irrigate more often, but I still prefer my original "capt style" 6 gallon container with 100% growcubes for the "one pounder" plants. More area for roots, easier to transplant, less mass to dispose of after the grow. If you have more ceiling height, 1000W (instead of 600W) and wanted to grow a 2 pounder, then I would suggest bumping up the container size to 10 gal.

AWESOME ! Thank you so very much for your explanation / experience.

Thank you again

Good questions, Wacky. During vegetative growth, I prefer to just hand water once or twice a day to waste. But if I go out of town, I'll hook up a recirculating system and set them to water twice a day. I feel like I get a little bit better growth by handwatering to waste... but it is not substantially better, so do what works for you. The scope of this article is "Simple", and the point is you don't need a ton of hydro gear to grow a one pounder. That said, I always recirculate (3-4 times a day) when going to flower, as I can't hand water that often. When you go to flower with a biggon, it will use up at least a gallon or more a day. Even when using 100% grow cubes, you will need to irrigate at least twice a day when in the first month of flower.

As I said before, the nice thing about using the rockwool growcubes (not chunks) is that it is difficult to over-water. Also, unlike dirt, you won't have problems with dry spots in the pot, over-watering or dirt contracting and leaving the roots on the sides of the container to dry out. The only disadvantage to the grow cubes is they need to be watered more often... which is a good thing ;-) The more we can flood the root system with nutrients and oxygen, the faster growth we have.

Yes, the beast you see above (scroll up) in the 10 gallon brute was done with a mix of hydroton and grow cubes. This is the same plant with the 2.5" stalk. The yield was over a pound. I irrigated 5 times a day with it. The roots mass completely filled up the 10gallon brute. As I've said before... whenever we see one pounders +, we see massive containers. HOWEVER! I won't do this 10 gal container again, as now I have 10 gallons of used growcubes / hydroton mix that I have to throw away. Yes, the results were outstanding, but I can do the same in the 6 gallon air pot with 100% grow cubes. If I didn't have the airpot, I would make a "poor man's air pot" using a 5 gallon bucket.

After this experiment, I don't feel that adding the hydroton and using a bigger container gave me a significant advantage. Yes, I did get over a lb, and with the other plant I only got 14 (almost 3oz difference). But remember that is because it is a different strain. The roots cant penetrate the hydroton and I feel it is just taking up space. It does allow you to irrigate more often, but I still prefer my original "capt style" 6 gallon container with 100% growcubes for the "one pounder" plants. More area for roots, easier to transplant, less mass to dispose of after the grow. If you have more ceiling height, 1000W (instead of 600W) and wanted to grow a 2 pounder, then I would suggest bumping up the container size to 10 gal.

This will be my last update to the capn's "simple hydroponics" thread. 3 plants, 3 pounds, 1800 watts. .75 grams per watt. No seeds, no mold, no pythium, no bugs, and best of all, only 3 plants to take care of. If you're not doin it capn style, I don't know what you're doin. ha ha. Seriously, as I said before, I have tried every growing method and this is the best ROE "return on effort" and ROI "return on investment" I have found. The trim alone from these three plants, is enough to make several months of medicine.

The last of the 3 plants has now been chopped. I thought the previous stalk was a beast, but this one dwarfs it. Branches bigger, buds bigger. Now that I chopped it, I can see this will easily be more than the previous plant. I'm estimating at least 18oz, and it could possibly top my record of 20oz. So, 14oz + 16.8oz + 18oz = 3lbs +

Here it is after chopping all the branches off.

Here is the size of the stalk, compared the last. 2.75" at the base. Notice how LOW I keep the plant, and the size of the branches. No "lollipopping" here folks. Just topping and spreading out the branches early on.

And here it is hanging, all but two hangars worth. After chopping most of it, I left on about 4-5oz and watered it with some bakers "orange extract" as an experiment to see if it will enhance the orange scent.

GOOD LORD !

"But Captain Jack will get you high tonight,
And take you to your special island.
Captain Jack will get you by tonight.
Just a little push, and you'll be smilin'."

This last monster in he pic was the recirculating magic bean ?:bravo:
This one ?
systemB.jpg

This will be my last update to the capn's "simple hydroponics" thread. 3 plants, 3 pounds, 1800 watts. .75 grams per watt. No seeds, no mold, no pythium, no bugs, and best of all, only 3 plants to take care of. If you're not doin it capn style, I don't know what you're doin. ha ha. Seriously, as I said before, I have tried every growing method and this is the best ROE "return on effort" and ROI "return on investment" I have found. The trim alone from these three plants, is enough to make several months of medicine.

The last of the 3 plants has now been chopped. I thought the previous stalk was a beast, but this one dwarfs it. Branches bigger, buds bigger. Now that I chopped it, I can see this will easily be more than the previous plant. I'm estimating at least 18oz, and it could possibly top my record of 20oz. So, 14oz + 16.8oz + 18oz = 3lbs +

Here it is after chopping all the branches off.

Here is the size of the stalk, compared the last. 2.75" at the base. Notice how LOW I keep the plant, and the size of the branches. No "lollipopping" here folks. Just topping and spreading out the branches early on.

And here it is hanging, all but two hangars worth. After chopping most of it, I left on about 4-5oz and watered it with some bakers "orange extract" as an experiment to see if it will enhance the orange scent.

That's really pretty , thanks for sharing.

Yep, that's it, wacky.

I always do recirc in flower when I use the rockwool growcubes. Here is a picture a few days b4 chop.

Oh Cap'n, how I wish I had your experience and knowledge with your grow ops.

I just finished a two month struggle with a dwc system I built. More and more I see the potential with your system. How it gets the job done and very efficiently. I think having a physical meduim as grodon cubes is superior to just pure water. Your so right about how having bear roots invites disease. I have a 195gph water pump and a few totes and water coolers laying around. I can't stand dwc for its unpractical constant attention needs. Not only that but it seems unnatural and your drip system seems more "natural" in terms of how it all works.

I cannot stand dwc for its neediness. I think sometime ago I said your style was "a downgrade from dwc" but what a ignorant statement that is. Your system is automatic and has no hydroton rocks. (Which I feel hurts roots and houses bacteria deep in the rootball)

What a pain the journey was, I've decided I need some sort of "physical" medium and a "dry & wet" cycle. Such as yours..

I tried bleach in my water to maintain a clean environment and it all failed. I think from the beginning I got rot root and it just went down hill from there. It just seems impossible to have a clean resevoir with water and nutes in it for a week without issues. It just seems impossible. ..

I have a soil girl in my closet now. I feel like such a caveman.. Anyways I just need to get 1/2 tubing and such and I can start a new grow!

Capn Style! :D

Hi Voltrom,

I feel your pain. One of my first grows was DWC, and I was successful by accident... UNTIL I got pythium. After trying every product: zone, h2o2, bleach, physan20, sm90, hygrozyme... none of them helped. I literally had a 3 month slump, and couldn't grow anything, aero or DWC. It seems once bad bacteria gets into your system, it's almost impossible to get rid of. The best thing (I found) to fight root disease is Heisenberg's tea, but still it is an ongoing battle. Once I switched to rockwool, I was back on track.

The thing is... many people do DWC and never have an issue. But it is a gamble. If an air stone stops bubbling, water gets too warm, roots get broken in the res... look out. Once the pythium sets in, you're doomed. The picture of your plant above actually looks better than mine did when I had root problems!

Btw, I did try a mix of hydroton and cubes, and saw no advantage to using the mix.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your new set up. Be sure to let me know when you get it going.

Hi Voltrom,

I feel your pain. One of my first grows was DWC, and I was successful by accident... UNTIL I got pythium. After trying every product: zone, h2o2, bleach, physan20, sm90, hygrozyme... none of them helped. I literally had a 3 month slump, and couldn't grow anything, aero or DWC. It seems once bad bacteria gets into your system, it's almost impossible to get rid of. The best thing (I found) to fight root disease is Heisenberg's tea, but still it is an ongoing battle. Once I switched to rockwool, I was back on track.

The thing is... many people do DWC and never have an issue. But it is a gamble. If an air stone stops bubbling, water gets too warm, roots get broken in the res... look out. Once the pythium sets in, you're doomed. The picture of your plant above actually looks better than mine did when I had root problems!

Btw, I did try a mix of hydroton and cubes, and saw no advantage to using the mix.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your new set up. Be sure to let me know when you get it going.

"It seems once bad bacteria gets into your system, it's almost impossible to get rid of."

This wasn't ever on my mind until it was too late.

The thing is, my first dwc experience was spectacular. I thought that I should "practice dwc" before I even attempt to grow mj. I grew a tomatoe plant that I got and just said whatever and threw it in my dwc system. The roots got long very quick! And this was with my primitive dwc tote design. Before I switched to more better reservoirs. Light proof etc.

Any ways it was such a vigorous plant, and I'm sure I underfed it and the high temps no doubt didn't help. Yet it grew... It grew into a massive tomatoe plant that couldn't hold itself up right, I had branchs over spilling the dwc Rez and dangling onto the floor. Needless to say it was very bothersome and I said enough was enough I'm ready to grow dwc.

I was excited, I felt I was ready to grow my cannabis. Many months I studied and researched before I started any of this.

Two months of hard work and good nutes and I'm left with nothing, indeed it is painful but what have I learned? Looking back there was many "instances" when things got out of control temp wise. I now know that at some point earlier on I got the bacteria. And from then on it was a never ending battle. (I know this now)

In that picture of my plants root ball that's what it looked like after I cut all roots off and took it out of the netcup. It fizzled In h202 like it was full of bad nasties. Never again will I allow the environment for bacteria to exist, if I don't ever let it take hold I will surely have a pleasant dwc experience again.. I hope.

Looking forward to ordering them gro cubes :D

Thank you Cap'n for all your info!

Voltrum. Outstanding post. + reps to you my friend. Your experience is so similar to mine, and another testimonial to my post on "live or sterile". I just now updated the post and mentioned you in it here.

Very nice tomato plant. However that picture... TMI! Again, sorry to hear about the root rot when you switched to the good stuff.

For the readers, this "live or sterile" article is worth a read from the beginning.

Voltrum. Outstanding post. + reps to you my friend. Your experience is so similar to mine, and another testimonial to my post on "live or sterile". I just now updated the post and mentioned you in it here.

Very nice tomato plant. However that picture... TMI! Again, sorry to hear about the root rot when you switched to the good stuff.

For the readers, this "live or sterile" article is worth a read from the beginning.

I thought it might have been tmi but we all love to grow here.. Ha!

Of course I already read that article from beginning to end several times, I think I'm going to give "sterile" another go. Simple because I can't afford the ingredients and the time to make an experimental batch of tea... Yet. I appreciate the honor of being mentioned friend ha, there's so much to learn out there and because of you. I'm ditching the filthy hydroton rocks. Namaste !

Yep! Like I said, this one is somewhat experimental, so see if a giant container is overkill. In a previous flood and drain grow, this was the OUTER container. Now, it's the inner. Can I get a vote for, "BNPOTM = Biggest netpot of the month"?

I vote for the cap'n for BNPOTM along with another few of the month wins. Wins someone going to nominate cap for MOTM? I'd vote for him in a sec!

Hi Voltrom,

I have to say I am glad you gave the cubes a try cause if you didnt I probably wouldn't be growing in them and getting such Growth. THANKS CAPN!

Back
Top Bottom