How to inexpensively cool a small grow box

HappyInside

I have one walk in closet where I grow my main plants under 12/12 with the majority of my CFL lights. In the same closet, I have a box with two 42w cfls, running 18/6 for vegging seedlings their first few weeks. I have to cover the box or the light will escape, and affect my flowering plants. The box gets very hot during the 6 hours the lights are on and it is covered. I have successfully vegged a few plants already, so it works, but I bet it will work better if I can drop the temp (now around 95) dow to say 80F.

Any suggestions? Too small for a fan I believe, plus can't cut holes. Looking for something creative to cool my plants!
IMG_66997.jpg
IMG_67105.jpg
IMG_67115.jpg
IMG_67127.jpg
IMG_67138.jpg
IMG_67155.JPG

I don't see why you can't cut holes in the sides. Use 2 or 3 inch ABS DWV 90° degree elbows (they're black) from a hardware store, there won't be any light leak or reflection inside. Cut a circle in the box slightly smaller than the elbow and push it through, you might need to put some duct tape or something around the connection if you don't get a really tight fit. I guess you could put a second on the opposite side and find a small fan to create a breeze.

You're a genius! I decided to get a box that is roughly twice the size, so the heat pollution will be less dense. I will also explore these 90 degree vents! I was thinking of doing that but figured the light would escape, not with black though as long as the degree is at least 90. Will post photos once I do it!

Back
Top Bottom