How to move to a Bigger Pot

if you see rootlets coming out the drainage holes its time

usually a plant will seem to stall on growing and changes if it has gotton rootbound

you can gently loosen a plant in its pot and slide it out enought to check if the roots are growing around the outside of the dirt mass right against the pot and followiong it around it needs a bigger pot

if your dirt is too wet at trasnsplanting you can tear micro roots from mud weight too dry can be a problem too soil should be sort of damp

My plants are 4" high in 4" pots and the roots are coming out the drainage holes. Is it better to let them get more rootbound or should I upgrade now? Also, can I just move them to 10"or 12" pots or is the goal to do it in stages?

:thanks: i will do the same also. Maybe 12" i will transplant it, since that will be the time for me to start flowering.
You should upsize your pot to a minimum 3 to 4 gallon, at least two weeks before you plan on flowering.
You are trying to minimize or even eliminate stress when the plants go into flower, all of your stresses should have happened in veg if there were any at all to occur. Giving them two weeks will allow them to establish themselves in the larger pot and be happy happy when it's time to flower.

My plants are 4" high in 4" pots and the roots are coming out the drainage holes. Is it better to let them get more rootbound or should I upgrade now? Also, can I just move them to 10"or 12" pots or is the goal to do it in stages?
For you Prince, if you can I put them directly into the biggest pot that I was planning on using. Some people skip the paper towels stage in the beginning all together and just put their seeds right into their final pot. Obviously you wouldn't water all of the soil in the pot when you're just talking about a seed but..... so there are no stresses on the plant, not a bad idea! Just dont overwater.

For you Prince, if you can I put them directly into the biggest pot that I was planning on using. Some people skip the paper towels stage in the beginning all together and just put their seeds right into their final pot. Obviously you wouldn't water all of the soil in the pot when you're just talking about a seed but..... so there are no stresses on the plant, not a bad idea! Just dont overwater.

So, do most home growers end with 10" or 12" pots? Thanx.

That depends on veg time. If somebody were to only veg their plants for four weeks, then you could easily get away to 3 to 4 gallon pot without any issues. If you veg to your plant for six to eight weeks, I wouldn't go with anything less than a five to six gallon pot. There just wouldn't be enough space in a smaller pot for that giant root ball to mature. You'd end up all rootbound and wondering what was wrong with your plants.

Back
Top Bottom