Moving to bigger home

nikkiannb

Can u give me step by step instructions on moving my plant to a bigger pot with better soil? I need to get as much of new soil in as possible my soil now is not absorbing water or allowing proper drainage?

IMG_20210826_122833402.jpg

Typically, up-potting a plant would entail:

a) getting a new pot with the soil mixture you want. Make sure the new pot is bigger than the old pot. The bigger the size difference, the better and easier it is to transfer.

b) make a hole in the new soil that's big enough for the existing root ball (an easy way to do this is to fill the larger pot up with a bit of soil, then put the existing pot into the larger pot and fill around the existing pot with soil. When you lift out the existing pot, the hole that's left will be exactly the right size for your root ball transplant)

c) transfer the existing root ball to the new container, press gently around the "seams" of the soil to remove any air pockets

d) water and enjoy.

If I get potting soil at my local garden center. What kind of nutrients can u refer? Should I use them today after I up pot?

She doesn't look rootbound yet, so that's a plus. Use good soil, I like Fox Farm products, Ocean Forest, or secondarily, Happy Frog, but any good amended soil should work. If using amended soil don't add nutes right away, see how she does for a week or two, as there are already available nutes in amended soil and additional nutes might cause burn. Ocean Forest is usually good for about 45-60 days without any additional nutes (it's also kinda pricey). I found a growers soil outlet that I get FF OC in 3 Cu. Ft. bags for $20/bag, normally it's about $30 for 1 1/2 Cu. Ft. Search the net and you'll find plenty of recommended commercial soils.

I got coco to mix with some well draining potting soil. Is that an ok mix? I think the potting soil is for cactuses. So should I water after I transplant? Or should I wait? I got some root take to use as well.

I got coco to mix with some well draining potting soil. Is that an ok mix? I think the potting soil is for cactuses.
I would have purchased a bagged soil meant to be used for Cannabis if at all possible. Surely there would be a grow shop somewhere nearby that carries Marijuana growing soil mixes. Most of those are already mixed to the right ratios of Perlite, etc. A good true soil mix for plants past the seedling stage is Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I see that @Phytoplankton beat me to the recommendation. There are some quality soil-less mixes available if you want to go that route.

Also, when you are ready to transplant you should be able to get that plant out of the pot fairly easily. Then put some new soil in the bottom, put the plant back on top of the new soil, loosen up the root ball a bit and then add more new soil all around and fill the pot up with soil to within a 1/2 inch or so of the top. The photo makes it look like the pot you are using was only filled about half way up.

Just by chance, you are not using a cast iron skillet as a saucer are you? Some of us cast iron cooks would consider that a sacrilege even if it was an inexpensive cast iron skillet.

Back
Top Bottom