Useing worms to aireate.

Aabama Phill

I read some where putting worms in your pots will help aireate the soil, help you w/ watering. Just wondering if any one has had any luck w/ this and how well it works I had a few nice big nightcrawlers left from a fishing trip tossed the in my pots they seem to be happy. I know worms like moist soil so if I keep my soil moist not to the point of over watering I think the'll stay and when I move to bigger pots I can move the worms or go fishing again.:peace:

My plants grow best in a soil ph of 6.8... pretty darn close to neutral 7.0... worms don't seem to mind it
I think 6.5 is their limit. In the old days when I went fishing, I used to go out back and sprinkle sulphate of ammonia on the grass, and the worms would all come to the surface to escape the acid. Easy pickings lol, and greened the grass at the same time.

Cool my plants look good don't know if the worms are still in the pot with them but this has to be the best lookin plant for me so far.

If you want to oxygenate your soil, you should just use some 1/4 inch rockwool cubes in with he soil, or some vermiculite perhaps.
I sometimes start my plants in the stuff, and when I transplant, I have a nice big ball of those things hanging on and it all goes in the soil.
I like a kind of wet dry cycle. Less chance for bugs.

Worms are a wonderful addition to your garden! Here are some facts!

How Do Worms Help Plants Grow?

Worm tunnels help air and water get into the soil. This makes the soil loose. Then plant roots can grow more easily.

Worms eat old leaves and other plants. Their body waste contains food that plants need. It fertilizes the soil.

Worms mix up the soil as they dig. They carry dirt from the top of the ground to the soil below. This way the plants always have a new supply.

I forgot to add this is in natural earth with no chemicals. If you're adding stuff to the soil they may not respond well. ;-)

I can't say if the worms are still in my pots or not. But the 2 little buggers are about 6 inches, 45 days,15 days in new soil and tap water and 1 rain. Also showing budding:peace::yummy:

Back
Top Bottom